ASRock Rack has created the first AM4 socket server boards, X470D4U, X470D4U2-2T

I’m struggling to change any memory settings on my board and it seems that the highest frequency I can set it to is 3000MHz

Where did you get your bios revision? The highest version I can find is 3.20

For getting above 3000MT/sec, you best use a Ryzen 3000 CPU. Ryzen 1000 or 2000 may have difficulty with that.

I found the following way the easiest to figure out the highest possible frequency:

• Use AMD Ryzen Master in Windows 10
  • Leave everything set to auto and only increase the frequency
  • The auto timings will then automatically increase to ridiculous heigths, but you can figure out your max frequency :smiley:
  • Click apply & test and the system will reboot with the new settings

My 2666MT/sec ECC RAM went to 3800MT/sec-4000MT/sec like this before it started showing issues :wink:

Perhaps the auto settings in the BIOS do the same, but I’m not sure, as that is not the way I tried it…

Also note that 3000Mhz != 3000MT/sec. If you really mean 3000Mhz (= 6000MT/sec) I think you should be happy with that speed already :wink:

Where did you get your bios revision? The highest version I can find is 3.20

In post #535 in this thread somebody posted the login credentials for the asrockrack ftp server. Don’t use the links from that post, because they are for the “X470D4U2-2T” board. But if access the ftp server you will find a directory for the x470d4u board with the 3.25 bios file.

1 Like

Hey fellow X470D4U owner here, again. Sorry i didn’t contribute much.
Been trying to trouble shoot a lot of issues with Unraid, harddrives and file systems. But that is a story for another time.

I am having a weird issue where i sporadically get incoming traffic of 7.2 ish mbps ( the speed is very consistent) on both bond0 and eth0. No storage device is being written too. It doesn’t matter if i block access to the web. Killing all dockers and smb shares changes nothing. The traffic on bond0 and eht0 is simultaneous and both incoming.
Is this some ipmi/kvm weirdness? It randomly happens and seems to last for over an hour. Nothing on my network seems responsible … i think.

Thank you for your cheeky explanation, I forgot about the D in DDR. I got the memory set correctly now with the bios reporting it correctly. I’m still pretty new to Linux so I’m not sure how to benchmark on Debian, suggestions would be appreciated

For those interested:
I’ve finally posted my findings regarding ECC not working on the Asrock Rack X470D4U2-2T using a Ryzen 3000 CPU. I expect this the same for the Asrock Rack X470D4U…

ASRock Rack X470D4U2-2T

1 Like

FYI: New BIOS v3.30 and BMC v1.90 versions were just released on the official website.

4 Likes

Nice.

So glad they dropped these on the site without sha256 sums.

3 Likes

I was hoping these would be agesa 1.0.0.4 patch B so I wouldn’t have to patch my kernel vfio.

Hi,

Is anyone actually capable of reading the SPD inside Windows on this (x470D4U or x470D4U2-2T) motherboard?

I discovered this because the Memory Tool “Thaiphoon Burner” doesn’t work…

Or is it my memory - Kingston KSM26ED8/16ME - (or perhaps ?broken? mobo) that is causing this…?

No one here running Windows 10? (perhaps in dual boot like me)

In meanwhile I’ve figured out that it is not the RAM. I’ve just received most parts for my new desktop build and on my x570 mobo there is no problem reading the SPD from this RAM…

Can someone please check on their mobo? It should be a very quick check…

@Mastakilla

Yes, access to individual system memory module properties is unfortunately broken, cp. my posting from August:

ASRock Rack knows about it but I’ve never received a response when they plan to solve it :frowning:

1 Like

Now that version 3.30 is out… has anyone retested?

@aBav.Normie-Pleb
Thanks for the response!

I was working with Vitaliy (creator of Thaiphoon Burner) to try and figure this out. He send me a couple of debug versions of his tool that gather more debug info, but he wasn’t able get it fixed without Asrock Rack their help :frowning:

This was his latest answer:

It confirms that the SMBus controller of your CPU is configured and functioning properly. I have the same SMBus settings absolutely, but Thaiphoon and other software detect all SPD EEPROMs of my DRAM modules.

Well, the BIOS of your motherboard somehow reads SPD information and saves it to DMI tables. As you can see, Thaiphoon Burner reads the part number of your DIMM modules (9965745-002.A00G) from the DMI tables without issues. So, I believe ASRock implemented a non-typical way of accessing SPD on your motherboard model and it is not documented.

@nx2l
SPD reading under Windows doesn’t work on 3.31, which should be the same as 3.30 + a few bug fixes

Under Proxmox I can’t detect any i2c device neither.

root@pve:~# i2cdetect -r -y 0
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f
00: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- –
10: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
20: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
30: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
40: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
50: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
60: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
70: – -- – -- – -- – --
root@pve:~# i2cdetect -r -y 1
root@pve:~# i2cdetect -r -y 2
root@pve:~# i2cdetect -r -y 3
root@pve:~# i2cdetect -r -y 4

No ECC Reporting is supported on AM4
= official AMD statement (according to Asrock Rack)

I am glad I found this thread - I had my mind set on ordering this board for a new server I was building to replace two older servers in my homelab.

I was looking to pair this motherboard with a 3700x, 64GB of RAM and put it inside my current 24bay case. I was going to put proxmox on it, use the 8 sata ports and get a 16 port SAS card and build a lower power replacement for both my old opensolaris server and my ESXI server.

Based on what I read, I am concerned the board isn’t stable enough for my needs.

Also, I want to passthrough one of the ethernet adapters to a pfsense VM, and it appears you can’t passthrough just one adapter, is the accurate with the current firmware?

You could just get add in a nic and pass that through if you must virtualize pfsense.

I have a beginner question about the SuperMicro chassis - If i purchase a 3U case with a BPN-SAS2-836EL1 backplane, what else do I need to purchase to connect to the ASRock motherboard? Is it a SAS-HBA connector that I need? I’m basically interested in the supermicro chassis and backplane but everything else custom and I’m wondering what I need to make that work…

The backplane connects with SFF-8087 connectors. Consult the manual of your backplane for the info on where to connect the SFF and power cables, and how to set the jumpers for the HBA configuration you’re going for. For HBA’s, if going for a single HBA, any of the LSI 9211-8i’s will perform well and should only cost around $30-40