ASRock Rack has created the first AM4 socket server boards, X470D4U, X470D4U2-2T

Back in the day i used to hotflash by swapping the bios chip while the system was powered on to fix a chip with a borked flash. Not sure if that still works today though. But i reckon it still gets all loaded into memory and then ignored.

Not sure if i did that with those newer square chips(been a while), the long eeprom ones i just inserted loosely and lifted them out quickly.

1 Like

I have done it with the square PLCC-formfactor ones successfully.

1 Like

Just a small detail, since I like having things properly “closed” in my mind.

A couple of months ago I wondered how the X470D4U could have 22 PCIe 3.0 lanes available for your own devices - 20 PCIe 3.0 lanes should have been the maximum via CPU.

I’ve always read and heard that X470 could not supply PCIe 3.0 lanes and never questioned that. I didn’t know that X470 was prepared for SATA Express which uses 2 PCIe 3.0 lanes that can alternatively be used for normal PCIe devices - this is what ASRock Rack did with one of the two M.2 slots.

Note that these 2 PCIe 3.0 lanes are not directly CPU-supplied meaning they share the bandwith of the interface between the CPU and chipset (PCIe 3.0 x4) with the other (PCIe) devices that are connected via the chipset (SATA, 2 x GbE, USB 3.0, the other M.2 slot with PCIe 2.0 x4).

On a hardware level this motherboard’s design is really well thought out (using almost everything AM4 can supply), it’s a shame that for some reason there are no BIOS software engineers assigned to it :frowning:

3 Likes

Someone wanna try a new Beta BIOS (L3.24)?

I don’t have free time till after the upcoming weekend, I would have already tried it otherwise.

Another user that contacted ASRock Rack support got it, I still haven’t heard anything back “officially” since August.

A second-hand user report suggests that with the previously linked Beta BIOS L3.24 RDRAND seems to be fixed.

Fedora 30 boots directly from its vanilla ISO without any post-release updates.

2 Likes

WARNING: These files are for the X470D4U-2T! Not for the X470D4U… Sorry for the confusion!

I still have to try it, but I’ve just received the following:
BIOS: ftp://[email protected]/x470d4u-2t/X47D42T3.31
BMC: ftp://[email protected]/x470d4u-2t/X470D4U2-2T_P1.60.00.ima

Username racktsd
Password rack#123

Not sure if these are final, beta or even alpha…

It also seems they had replied already earlier to my question, but that came in my spam folder. That earlier email also contained BIOS v3.25 (X47D42T3.25) as an attachment (if someone wants that as well, then please ask).

The earlier email explicitly said that v3.25 is AGESA 1.0.0.3 ABBA (so I suppose 3.31 is at least at the same level)

I’m getting quite good / fast response from Asrock btw

4 Likes

Note that these files seem to be for the X470D4U-2T, NOT the X470D4U.

2 Likes

Ow sorry, good point!! I’ll edit my post to make that clear

The new BIOS solves my Linux booting issues. I can now boot into Lubuntu and also Fedora Rawhide boots (Gnome doesn’t want to start though, but that is a different issue).
Also mounting iso’s in the IPMI works well again…

1 Like

I might have been able to harass some.folks finally. :smiley:

4 Likes

funny enough… I got an email today with a new BIOS

1 Like

Not me :frowning:

Maybe repeatedly pointing out various bugs landed me on a black… block list.

What BIOS version was sent to you?
Is it also L3.24 like in my previous posting?

If so could you please compare the checksums of your own and the publicly linked file?

Yes

Did someone else post the checksum for it? (i didnt really look)

96df9b197b9ee2729fb6c139f119064759c9b646be5d7206fa91a66f9a5c2e2c

1 Like

Thanks!

The first publicly linked file is the same so A-OK for testing without being worried about the source.

@wendell

Can say anything off the record if they said something if with the upcoming AGESA 1004 again, you’ll have to wait a few months longer compared to the other manufacturers that will release BIOSes with that version in November?

Something like “Oh yes, the X470D4U BIOS was a clusterfarce that is fixed by now and now we can update the BIOSes more regularly.”?

Great thread, I joined up because of it.

I would like to use the Asrock board for an upcoming server build but have a question. I need to use the built in raid to boot off of a raid10 ssd volume. Has anyone been able to get that to work under Windows server 2019? I know it’s not officially supported but often that means just use the Win10 drivers…

Thanks!

If it doesn’t work I will have to go with an e-2288g.

How much time do you have to wait for a test of that?

2 things:

• I only have a Server 2016 due to a “general Microsoft” affiliation to an university (I don’t quite get the new catalog, previously it was “DreamSpark”/“Imagine” (?) where I could download Windows Server and Embedded versions and other developer stuff only, not an ordinary Windows 10 Eductation; Microsoft changed that again and I don’t quite know how to navigate their convoluted mess of sites yet to get Server 2019)

• I picked up two young cats last Sunday, they kind of dominate free time at home right now (but at least in a good way)

I will wait as long as I need too, I wasn’t planning on buying for another few weeks. Thanks for doing that! I would really like to go the ryzen route as there may be an upgrade path to zen3 and you just get more for your money.

Thanks!

Ive been meaning to test the BIOS 3.24 that support sent me… but ive been too busy getting ready for a extra life event…probably in a few weekends I’ll have a chance to try it.

New kid by any chance? My wife is due on Monday which is delaying my server build :).

1 Like