ASRock Rack has created the first AM4 socket server boards, X470D4U, X470D4U2-2T

Thanks!

The first publicly linked file is the same so A-OK for testing without being worried about the source.

@wendell

Can say anything off the record if they said something if with the upcoming AGESA 1004 again, youā€™ll have to wait a few months longer compared to the other manufacturers that will release BIOSes with that version in November?

Something like ā€œOh yes, the X470D4U BIOS was a clusterfarce that is fixed by now and now we can update the BIOSes more regularly.ā€?

Great thread, I joined up because of it.

I would like to use the Asrock board for an upcoming server build but have a question. I need to use the built in raid to boot off of a raid10 ssd volume. Has anyone been able to get that to work under Windows server 2019? I know itā€™s not officially supported but often that means just use the Win10 driversā€¦

Thanks!

If it doesnā€™t work I will have to go with an e-2288g.

How much time do you have to wait for a test of that?

2 things:

• I only have a Server 2016 due to a ā€œgeneral Microsoftā€ affiliation to an university (I donā€™t quite get the new catalog, previously it was ā€œDreamSparkā€/ā€œImagineā€ (?) where I could download Windows Server and Embedded versions and other developer stuff only, not an ordinary Windows 10 Eductation; Microsoft changed that again and I donā€™t quite know how to navigate their convoluted mess of sites yet to get Server 2019)

• I picked up two young cats last Sunday, they kind of dominate free time at home right now (but at least in a good way)

I will wait as long as I need too, I wasnā€™t planning on buying for another few weeks. Thanks for doing that! I would really like to go the ryzen route as there may be an upgrade path to zen3 and you just get more for your money.

Thanks!

Ive been meaning to test the BIOS 3.24 that support sent meā€¦ but ive been too busy getting ready for a extra life eventā€¦probably in a few weekends Iā€™ll have a chance to try it.

New kid by any chance? My wife is due on Monday which is delaying my server build :).

1 Like

Do we have any changelog of the new beta release?

Weā€™re currently still running 3.10 with BMC 1.50. The server ran for about 57days when we had to do a reboot because of an update of ZFS (weā€™re using it as root so inplace update might be a problem ;)).

But the board doesnā€™t come up again. The BMC wasnā€™t rechable. So we had to drive to the servers location (not far away but very annoying) at midnight on a week end. This is why you buy a board with a remote console, but if the BMC isnā€™t rechable itā€™s not really usable. In our case it isnā€™t a mission critical server so it isnā€™t a big problem, but an annoying one :).

It gives us a little hope for that board that Asrock is still working on updates. On the next longer maintenance period we will give the newer BIOS and BMC version a try.

Is it possible to downgrade anytime?

The BMC not being reachable after a certain amount of time (I think it was about a week) has been reported before.

The BIOS and BMC is downgradable as long as you donā€™t go below BIOS ā€œ3.00ā€ (or the earliest 7 nm Zen 2 BIOS).

Also, the BIOS and BMC chips are socketed, there are many service companies where you can order chip x with an user-defined image and get it via mail within a few days.

I donā€™t know if BMC 1.60 fixed the not being reachable issue, due to hardware experimentation my unit has never been connected to power that long.

If your motherboard refuses to post again try physically removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes, not just using the CMOS reset pad.

I would really appreciate it if you could also contact ASRock Rackā€™s official support properly with your woes, the more customers do this the higher the chances for actual change on ASRock Rackā€™s software egineering staff allocation (or at least I hope so).

Until thereā€™s another AM4 motherboard with IPMI (come on, Supermicro!) I wonā€™t give up on this bitchy piece of tech.

Good that Iā€™m not the only one with the issue. I will contact the support about this issue.

On the FTP server posted above you will find a new BMC version 1.80/1.81, but without any changelog, so there might coming an update soon.

1 Like

thank you for this! not sure why i didnā€™t realize that youā€™d set the speed to half the rated due to dual channel design. iā€™m not an overclocker so never really have tweaked the settings. in this case just wanted to up the 1866 rating with all 4 sticks present to at least memory rated speeds.

running bios 3.20 there is not an option for method 2.

again, merci beaucoup.

1 Like

No problem and welcome to the forum!

Note that this has nothing to do with Dual Channel (thatā€™s sort of RAID 0 for RAM sticks) but with the way DDR is transmitting information in general.

If you run into any issues with this motherboard weā€™ll try to help here but be sure to also message ASRock Rackā€™s official support.

Could it be that you are using a Ryzen 2000/Zen+ CPU? I think Iā€™ve read that the current BIOS/AGESA versions that include Ryzen 3000/Zen 2 support disable/hide the formerly present overclocking options for the previous generationā€™s CPUs for some reason.

In fact I am using Zen+, 2700x actually.

okay, i think iā€™ve read the majority of this thread but did not see my current issue addressed. i have worked through 4 different X470D4U boards thus far. At this stage I have two boards up and successful (BMC 1.6/BIOS P3.20) for a few days. The other two boards I tried on the same server with the same results, leading me to believe itā€™s not the board after all.

Symptoms - CPU usage is erratic and reports excessively high constantly when running VMā€™s (Proxmox). Same VMā€™s run on other server with no issues. Copy speeds are also horrendously slow. I tried copying from directory to directory on same disk and got speeds ~2MB/s, from USB 3.0 to local disk ~4MB/s.

Difference in these servers is strictly case, power supply and processor at this point (memory (ecc) is different obviously but iā€™ve swapped it around all three and every stick functions fine in both good servers, all use mirrored 1tb NVMe drives which have also been swapped and tested fine). on the first board i thought was bad i tried all r3.x BIOS to no avail. on the current board i upgraded from P3.10 to P3.20 in order to match the other servers standing.

Bad Server: 2700x, Seasonic SS-500ES Bronze, Norco RPC-2304 rackmount chassis
Good Server #1: 2700x, Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750, Rosewill tower case
Good Server #2: 2700x, Seasonic M12ii 620 Bronze, Silverstonetek tower case

i know i am using the same p/s that was connected when getting same inferior results on the previous board (no CPU_PROCHOT sensor alerts in BMC). iirc i am also using the same processor.

has anyone seen these issues before, either on this board or others? does this sound like an issue with either the p/s or processor? this one is really stumping me, and unfortunately costing me a lot of time to troubleshoot. :frowning: iā€™m going to try another M12ii p/s first, then, if necessary, swap the processor for a 2600 in order to test.

thanks for reading!

aaaaaandā€¦swapping the p/s made the issue go away. not other changes were performed. so, now i need to find a replacement atx p/s with a rear vented fan that doesnā€™t cause the same issues.

thoughts on why the p/s caused the issue?

There is a PCIe x 1 GPU ā€¦ GT 710 from Zotac ā€¦ its an option if you need your x16 slot free

During my testing with the extreme performance loss (but with CPU_PROCHOT in the IPMI log), testing multiple Ryzen 2000 and 3000 CPUs didnā€™t make any difference - just like in your case the only thing that helped was using a different PSU.

I had contacted Seasonic about this issue and they said they ā€œwould investigate this issue in cooperation with ASRock Rackā€ but again, just like ASRock Rack Iā€™ve never heard from them again :frowning:

Also, it would be helpful if you could contact Seasonic about this issue.

So sounds like im not alone in the IMPI not responding after about a week of uptimeā€¦

1 Like

Yeah, I wouldnā€™t be surprised if that was the case with every unit after exceeding x minutes of uptimeā€¦

Well, well, well - look whoā€™s recommending an ASRock Rack X470D4U(2-2T):

At least Steve is going to make some noise if his IPMI is no longer reachable :wink:

Are there any HDD fans in the SilverStone CS381? Couldnā€™t see any?

5 Likes

There are 2 120s in the back