Asrock C2750d4i network adapter issues

Hi everyone,

I’m having problems with my Asrock C2750D4I. Specifically, it’s not identifying any network adapters other than its IPMI interface.
I have an Intel dual NIC installed as well as the two on the board and the activity lights are flashing but on the switch side of things, there’s no connection (though they are being detected as being plugged in).

Any idea what’s going on here? I doubt all 4 ports between two separate controllers died at the same time and I doubt all 4 cables died at the same time either. The switch is working fine with everything else plugged into it.

Have you tried turning it off and on again? :smirk:

But setiously, have you checked the config in the IPMI? You can disable the ports if you want/need for some reason, maybe that got switched off somehow? I’m not on my board right now but iirc it’s under configuration > network binding or something like that.

Anyway, good on you that your board still works :slightly_frowning_face:

It’s amazing how often I forget to try turning things off and on again! Haha but in this case I did and got nothing.

Anyway, I’ve checked in config > network and it only seems to think there’s the one port, the IPMI one. However, I’ve just plugged it directly into a monitor (because I’m not getting anything from the KVM) and I’m not getting any signal from the VGA port either so maybe my board is stuffed.

That’s my second board! Doubt they’ll replace it a third time. Such a shame because there’s not a lot in that sort of form factor.

When mine died it turned out to be the BIOS chip. So if they won’t sort you out on warranty you might be able to get a new chip and try that, apparently it’s a common fault.

Yeah, that’s exactly what killed my first one. I’m out of warranty now anyway so I doubt they’ll do anything. Any idea where I could get a BIOS chip? After this I’ll probably try and get it working, then sell it on cheap. Time to get a more reliable board. Such a shame I’ll need to upgrade all that perfectly good DDR3 though.

Asrock might send you one if you ask, otherwise you could try ebay. There are places that do replacement chips but I don’t know any off the top of my head.

I’ll take a look around and see what I can find. Any suggestions for a new board while I’m at it? I’m looking at an Asus P10S-V/4L right now but I really don’t want to deal with this sort of down time anymore.

I haven’t really kept up on hardware, wouldn’t know what’s a good choice right now.

Fair enough. I’ll put up a new post asking for recommendations. Thanks anyway!

1 Like

For me it was the Avoton Bug, 2 boards so far :frowning: seem to be real lucky.

Just checked on mine and seems I remembered it wrong, you can just configure whether that IPMI port is passed to the OS as well or if it’s dedicated for IPMI.

There’s the C3785D4I-4L, which is the successor. But if you’re still in warranty I’d try that first.
I should have RMA’d my second board a long time ago but I got kinda lazy about it because currently I don’t actually have much use for it :X Also since it’s most likely the Avoton bug (again) I probably don’t need to worry about warranty period a whole lot since it’s a manufacturing defect. But anyway…

I think that particular board is just kind of crap. Granted, they fit a lot of value into it for the price, but talking to people, it seems everyone has had to RMA at least once for one reason or another.

I double checked and I’m definitely outside of warranty so I’ll just try to get my hands on a new BIOS/BMC chip, get the board working again and sell it on. I’m sick of having a several month down time every year while I try to fix an issue with the board.

TBH I didn’t read much about RMAs outside of the Avoton issue so far. And asidefrom that is has been pretty solid for me. Even running folding@home 24/7 (don’t do this, it’s not worth it, better run it on a GPU).

Would be interested how Wendell’s board is doing.

In my search for answers when trying to fix the issue the first time, I found quite a few people complaining about various things.
Like is said, with all its features and for the price it sounds pretty fantastic, but it seems RMA’s are pretty common.

I’d love to know how Wendell’s is going. It’s actually the reason I bought that board. Maybe we’ll get lucky and he’ll chime in! Haha

Well, but the thing is… if hoi’re searching for people having issues you’re going to find people having issues :wink:

It’s not a good indicator how reliable a given product is because people that have issues will inherently post more about it then people not having issues. There’s no relation to how many people actually have that product and not have issues with it :smile: