ASRock b450 itx motherboard dead burnt part

Hey everyone so I bought a crucial m2 CT1000P1SSD8 for the ASRock b450 itx mobo I installed it put it back in the case and powered it on lights came up no display and it powered off I tried powering it on again and something on the mobo burned.

I then tried powering it on with a different psu (Corsair vs450) and still nothing. I installed the m2 SSD on my brothers PC and it’s working. I’ll be taking the motherboard and CPU(ryzen 3500x) to the place I bought it from since it’s still under warranty hope it goes fine.

What I would like to know is what might have caused this did installing the m2 SSD caused this or was it just a coincidence? Reason I ask is I will want to use the m2 in the board after it’s fixed but don’t want it burning out on me a 2nd time. I tried searching about that burnt chip but came up empty. Thanks in advance for support.

Before taking that mainboard anywhere, clean it. No tech will ever look favourably at your board when it’s that dirty. :roll_of_toilet_paper:

1 Like

You got it buddy will do.

Shake the case and see if there is anything loose. If the SSD works fine, and that chip has nothing to do with the SSD, I’d guess either the PSU died or there is as loose screw, wiring, something conductive that overloaded the chip. It’s possible it was a defect in the chip, but having it work fine for so long (guessing by the dust) and only let out the magic smoke after being handled seems to point elsewhere.

@ KleerKut well my psu (Seasonic SS-750JS 750) still works atleast with the paperclip method I’ll make sure to check the case before placing the board in it after it’s fixed hopefully.

My case is Silverstone sg 13Silverstone Sugo SG13 Mini-ITX and the m2 slot on my board is on the back is it possible the m2 was touching the case base that might have caused this?

Pretty sure that chip is a VRM for the CPU. It shouldn’t have anything to do with the SSD in any way that I can see. I know power supplies can easily die from being handled but a solid state component like that shouldn’t have an issue. It’s possible it was about to die anyway and just happened to give out. Maybe a bad solder joint. Just seems a bit too coincidental. Perhaps a small change in airflow in the case let it overheat since it doesn’t have a heat sink. Hopefully it gets replaced under warranty and it is back in action soon.

Hope so too buddy. I was so excited to build an itx PC but ever since I started building it has caused me nothing but problems so if they refuse to honor the warranty I’ll just buy the cheapest non itx gigabyte board and call it a day.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.