ASRock 6800xt 16GB

So I have read somewhere this requires an 800 watt power supply. I think it was at the online store. I do not have an 800 watt power supply , I have a 750 power supply. It is an EVGA 750 Supernova 750G2.

There are two issues here that you need to keep in mind with modern GPUs.

The first is to calculate the max total system power possible with everything running full tilt, and have a gpu that can run steady state at about 20% over that. This keeps age related degradation at bay, and keeps unaccounted for loads from surprising you. Can you go lower? Sure. But no one except your screen going black can tell you whether it was not viable.

The second is to make sure the PSU is new enough that it can handle the very high and fast spikes in power that modern GPUs can create, without getting confused and shutting off to protect themselves. Checking negative reviews for this is probably the simplest way.

The 800 W recommendation is a just a “should work for everyone” rating.

2 Likes

Thanks… I got an 850 lying around in a box if I need it, but this one i have still has 5 years warranty. Figured might as well keep using it.

Gamers Nexus has a video on the topic of transients, if you wish to learn more.
Your 750W PSU could handle the load, but doesn’t have to. If it were me, I would use the 850W PSU and sell/reuse for another project the 750W one.

1 Like

Video below shows how fugly the power demands of GPUs are:

1 Like

Saving the 750 was the original plan… I might just stick with that. Thanks for the link, this makes total sense. I am not sure why this is such a problem though. Why can’t we make a band pass filter after the PSU and before the MOBO, after the PSU and before the GPU, and so on. Take those spikes drop them in a capacitor, and let that charge those useless rgb’s lol. Good video.

1 Like

Bulzoid, there is a guy who knows what he talks about… what is really funny is I see the nasty of the power flux, and it reminds me of when I was recording music. It is very similar. Thanks for the link. Maybe I just go splurge on a 1200 watt, and get it over with. LOL

This is not a bad idea. Having a power supply that is rated much higher than the ‘requirement’ may very slightly reduce your power efficiency, but it will be negligible and give you space to expand later if you want.

The only real question in that scenario is how much you are willing to spend on the power supply. If your budget is tight and you are worried about saving every dollar, then a lower rated power supply will save you money on the initial build. But if you don’t mind spending the extra money, then a more powerful supply will give you peace of mind as your computer ages or you add more hardware.

I personally went with a EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 80+ GOLD power supply because that was my personal cut-off for pricing. It cost me around 280$ when I bought it, current price is around 250$. - turned out I really needed that much power for my system so i’m happy I did it.

(in case you are curious, here’s a link to my build - expand the window to get all the gory details if you wish)

The thing to maybe take into account is that maybe Asrock are being conservative and basing this on the fact that shit tier 800 watt PSU may be required to deal with transient loads that something that is lower watts but not shit tier may be fine with.

For what it’s worth, i’m running a 6900XT on an 850 watt Corsair 850 HXi (I think) PSU, rarely see total system draw above 500 watts, including CPU running flat out (5900X). I don’t think i’ve ever seen the PSU fan turn on.

If you’re running a quality 750 watt PSU (and EVGA are, if i’m not mistaken), i’d roll the dice. PSUs are hard to get at the moment apparently, i have an enterprise network switch order awaiting shipment that has secondary PSUs out of stock for 3 months for example).

I think you’ll be 100% fine, but if you do run into stability problems (black screen/reboot), keep it in mind (that would likely be power supply OCP).

Also be aware that if you’re not clocking the snot out of it (and there’s no need to really, i leave my 6900 on “quiet” profile most of the time for 250 watt peak) you’ll also likely be fine.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.