Armatix iP1 Smart gun hacked

A security researcher has found some flaws in this "smart gun"

2 Likes

it's almost like IoT devices never work as intended and don't implement real security.

5 Likes

Agreed. This video seemed a bit click baity at first, but it had some decent info in it. But I think smart people with guns would be much more practical than smart guns as they are in their current form.

This is my shocked face....

"Smart" guns are a complete disaster in all forms. Pretty much proven at this point.

3 Likes

I mean he completely disabled the security with a damn magnet. That's ridiculous.

1 Like

I don't under stand what the point of having a smart gun. If you have to protect you or someone else you would have to have that watch on for it to fire. If you had to fire the gun to protect your self its just one more thing that you have to do in that moment. And its just one more thing to go wrong. And if the batteries are dead the gun is useless.

Regulators like it because it's a panacea to appease a left leaning constituency as a buzzword solution. It's "market based" and "disruptive" and they can't be made to look unreasonable because they're still OK with guns, technically.

Manufacturers like it because they're getting potentially far higher margins on regulated smart weapons..

The Reptoid shadow government likes them because they're trivial to disable compared to real guns.

Take your pick on who to blame for the phenomenon.

1 Like

Or we outright ban guns altogether, and these crappy smart guns wouldn't be a problem.

/s

1 Like

That statement has the potential to start a feud, you should probably rephrase as its going to lead to disallowed discussion.

What is "real security"? @tkoham

Taking basic due diligence to make your expensive internet dildo, gun, subscription-only juicer, lightbulb, thermostat, etc. not trivial to fuck with via shodan, bluetooth, RFID, or magnets.

You're right, I should have used "basic" "a shred of" or "any" to describe the level of security these devices need to rise to.

I forgot the "/s". Oops. Fixed it.