Arista 7050T - A 10Gb, 48 port Ethernet Switch For $300?! Tested. | Level One Techs

Nope no 2.5 or 5g compatibility. This is old 10 gig. New 10 gig is faster/better

are the Intel x540 x520 NICs, old or new 10Gig?

Old 10 gig

1 Like

I would assume the Aquantia ASUS stuff is new 10G? I also picked up this QNAP USB 3.0 5G adapter for my ITX rig https://amzn.to/2YAAKm6 and its aquantia based https://www.anandtech.com/show/14381/qnap-launches-qnauc5g1t-a-usb-30-to-5-gbe-adapter Ill likely be picking up another for my laptop since neither have thunderbolt. Theres the newer Realtek 2.5G that were starting to see as well.

aquantia should be 10 gig, generally, but also newer 10 gig so 5 and 2.5g compatible. I am not sure but its possible aquantia is producing 5g silicon as well

Know offhand a decent cheapish model that the new 10G, 5G etc? 4ports isnt enough. 8 is plenty.

once again thanks for all the help

I have been waiting since computex 2018 for that to come out. There were several oems demoing 8 port 10 gig switches that were either fanless or so quiet I couldnt hear them on the show floor. None have come to market afaik.

Asus has a 10 port that is I think 8 1g ports and 2 10g ports thatā€™s reasonably priced, but beyond that I havenā€™t seen any. If yā€™all can dig one up Iā€™ll buy it and review. Even if its sketch ali express nonsense

3 Likes

I have an aquantia card in a dev box thatā€™s 5g(/2.5g?). On the back burner to figure out if it works in FreeNAS or not. They didnā€™t make the driver they put out work on 13-CURRENT which is what I have running on that machine, but Iā€™ll be popping it over to a machine running FreeNAS probably tomorrow :partying_face:

Iā€™m showing 150watts with 100% fan speed and dual power supplies active. That comes out to ~$160USD a year at .12kwh to power if you have to run it in that condition.

1 Like

Oh, I did get it working in FreeNAS.

1 Like

Does anyone know what steps need to be taken or hardware to use to get a 40Gb link between two of these switches? I would also like to get some qsfp+ NICs for the servers. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

localhost login: admin
localhost> enable
localhost# bash

Arista Networks EOS shell

[admin@localhost ~]$ touch /mnt/flash/enable3px
[admin@localhost ~]$ sudo reboot

This is what I did on Snazzyā€™s to get the 40gb link to his freenas. One of his qsfp cables was weird, though, and never would work at all. Seemed to be like a 40gb to 4x10gb breakout cable in disguiseā€¦ which didnā€™t work.

A new $7 cable with the 3rd party enablement and all good.

2 Likes

Awesome! I will give that a try. I had tried the Mellanox CX354A-FCBT ConnectX-3 NICs in a couple of Dell R730s, connecting them to the switch with a Cisco DAC and showed ā€œNot-Connectedā€ on the switch. I enabled full speed on the QSFP ports, and it shows up that they are configured for 40Gb but not connected. Any idea if enabling 3rd Party might help with this?

Thanks again for your help.

try it and let us know, it probably will work. get the fw version if doesnt work & post back here pls.

you can do the show status command (forget what it is) and in the status column it will show you more info like bad link, no support, etc.