Arista 7050T - A 10Gb, 48 port Ethernet Switch For $300?! Tested. | Level One Techs

Drives

LOL

ceph cluster with nothing but RAMdisks.

Where there is a will (and bored admins), there is a way.

1 Like

Arista as a company got itā€™s start in HFT space, so the 7050T was always an odd switch. In 2009, 30 percent of Aristaā€™s revenue was in finance. These 10ge switches and Solarflare, with their onload kernel bypass solutions was the technology that successfully challenged Infiniband that sector.

Perfect timing with this video! I received two of the same switches, this week. I am a noob to enterprise level switches though. Is there a crash course for the CLI available anywhere? I downloaded the 3002 page EOS manual. :stuck_out_tongue: I have gotten the management port configured and available on the network, but how do I enable / configure the Ethernet ports for basic switching? I can play around with the other features later. I bought these to play around with 10GBase-T and to speed up TB+ backups.

op is updated with a quick start guide. Updating the f/w is pretty easy on these.

1 Like

The two that I got are currently at the 4.12 release. I signed up for an Arista login, but have limited access right now. I am unable to download anything yet. I read that the 7050Ts only support up to 4.18. What release have you got working?

EOS-4.18.11M.swi DM me if you find it pretty please? :smiley:

I had it, but I was too cavalier with it. and now I have 2/5 switches updated. :-\

I can recopy it, but its a pita as those are locked down & installed in their final home now (I didnā€™t leave management on becauseā€¦ no firmware updates are anticipatedā€¦ and it is maybe a risk to leave it accessibleā€¦ so I have to trapse to a place then do a thing andā€¦ if you see it, dm me pretty please. Donā€™t post publicly though thx)

1 Like

Show us your numbers then. I doubt it will be very efficient even with few ports in use, being as itā€™s basically an x86 machine tuned for high performance rather than power saving.

UK average electricity price was 17.78p in December 2018. Letā€™s say 100W, less than a 3rd of what they say is ā€œtypicalā€, because you only use a few ports. Ridiculously low but letā€™s go with it. Still costing Ā£155/year in electricity costs.

Doubting the x86 core is for anything intensive, maybe some fancy advanced features but most of the work is going to be done by ASICs Iā€™m sure

2 Likes

Does anyone know if you can swap the PWR-460dc-f/r psus out for the AC power equivalents? I accidentally bought one with DC psus. Iā€™ve never run into these before I suspect itā€™s common for telcos and what not but what are they using to power them? Big batteries or one big 240V transformer at the bottom of the rack?

Yep itā€™s swappable

awesome thanks, now I just need to find the power supplies for less than the whole switch cost :slight_smile:

Looking for the OS upgrade as well. My switch runs 4.12ā€¦ I tried the Arista website but cant download as i dont have the contract service with them.

Wouldnā€™t sharing the firmware upgrade be piracy?

For anyone interested, I am running the switch with fan-speed overridden to 40%. This is a crazy amount quieter than even the default of 60% and I am still maintaining temps 15%+ below the Alert Threshold. YMMV. This made a big difference in a crowded office. FYI, this one is 90% populated and running at 261W.

1 Like

I did the same, with no luck. It looks like 4.18 is supported on these. Any idea what features or fixes are in the later versions?

Im still testing mine, anyone still paying around with them? any fun hacks or tricks?

1 Like

This still a good deal? I really only need 8 ports at least for 10G.

yes, if you can find them for around $300-350 its great

Am i specifically looking for the 7050T? If so the lowest ive seen right now are 450 but ill keep it on my radar. Also though its not listed can I assume 5G and 2.5G compatibility?

Also thanks for the prompt response!