Aremis Uses Windows 10

Reduces seek time the smaller the page file is, Windows will natively set it to the size of your ram which can easily be 32 or 64 GB on a modern system

Disabling hibernation because windows already hybrid shuts down

If he’s using a SSD it will eat through its life cycle quick, why not disable it? Compatibility mostly some programs refuse to work correctly with out it

Why Am I telling him this, he’s a Linux guy who hates to use window, Also I’m not a rando, I’m his friend
Why change your default OS configuration, because default is not optimal
Starting to get a bit off topic here

2 Likes

The Pagefile isn’t set to the size of your RAM by default.

I’ll stop arguing about specifics. I’ve stated what i believe to be a safe way to do things from now 5+ years of experience in tech support for 500 Companies. 99% of which running some form of windows.

Your points are valid, just not for everyone. I’d argue not even for most.

Upon request.

Be kind, please rewind.

You exploring PowerShell yet, hoss?

No real interest in it honestly.

Is nhere a reason I should look at it?

Only if you want to interface with Windows system calls, learn an object-oriented shell, automate tasks and processes, get a list of EventLogs or Processes, call out to remote machines. Things like that.

2 Likes

Nah.

Even SSDs from 8 years ago can handle more writes than any desktop user will ever see.

My advice for Windows is to install as little third party crap as possible.

So that means, in my case:

• don’t install a third party firewall - run windows firewall. If you want more advanced firewall functionality than that, put the windows box behind a proper firewall device.
  • don’t install third party AV - run defender
  • limit third party system-level applications as much as possible

The above is based on third party software time-and-again getting fucked over by change - either a change microsoft has made that kills the third party stuff, or in the case of some AV companies - incompetence bordering on maliciousness (looking at you Trend Micro with your b0rked definitions that have killed the ability of servers to boot in the past, and Comodo with your software firewall that introduced vulnerabilities)

Also, if you do install services, don’t just give them system access. If they touch the network, run them as a different user.

I’d suggest looking for a recent “hardening windows” howto, and do the “biggest win vs. convenience” steps that are in-line with your acceptable “hassle vs. security” ratio.

Limiting third party software to only that which you actually NEED, and preferably as little third party system software as possible limits the number of vendors to deal with for system level problems.

It also keeps you as close as possible to the microsoft mainstream baseline that their limited testing is performed against for patch compatibility reasons.

2 Likes

yyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaah about that. I want bash D:

Bash is probably ok.

I’m more referring to the 3rd party crap that is “free” so long as you hand over your life, system resources, etc. i.e., most of the non-open-source “free” software.

Oh

I don’t touch that crap in windows, even if it was pre-approved by the manufacturer. I honestly don’t trust windows worth a damn.

1 Like

Well as much as I have liked sitting here on windows, I kinda miss linux on this msi. Granted the nvidia drivers randomly freak out, but from what I’ve read its tameable.

Theres a few things I have to play with first though. ATM normal desktop use is ok. Last time I ran windows on a desktop I actually got weird stuttering performance on windows, and that was with a known good 9800GTX that I have lying around, not the recently dead R7 370. Whatever ui bugs I’ve reported also seem to be clearing up. Don’t know if ironic or not. As well, I reported to the windows team about the keyboard bug I keep dealing with and it seems they pushed out a patch for that issue the other day. So thats pretty cool.

The issue being, I use dvorak. For everything. Gaming too. So when I game, windows wouldn’t want to keep the keyboard in dvorak. It forces you to have standard US as well for some reason. If I knew where the layout map files were I’d just delete the plain US one but I can’t because fuck if I know where any of that is.

But, the issue is gone. So… Woopy.

I have to play with WSL a little more yet. I’m wanting my workstation stuff back though. This is seeming a little more toy like than I’d like in comparison. I’m used to having a terminal. I looked into a better integration of BASH or Fish, but couldn’t find anything windows native. Everything WSL, but if its in WSL its in its own environment. I might be able to share files across systems, but I couldn’t use stuff like netstat and dd whenever I wanted. I could install IRSSI but I don’t understand how I’m supposed to get GTK or QT apps working? I’ve seen people mention it but not seen… how.

Edit: I just randomly opened OneNote. It seems like th notes app I’ve always been looking for. Is there a linux comparable app?

1 Like

Simplenote maybe?

Bear looks nice but it’s exclusive to the Apple ecosystem

Bear is actually my go to but I never really have it on hand. Oh well. TBH not really a big deal.,

1 Like