Are there external enclosures for USB 3.1 PCI-e devices?

I see that there are clearly external enclosures for Storage and GPUs that utilize USB 3.1.

I need an external enclosure for USB 3.1 that will support any normal PCI-e card I put into it.

Clearly the concept exists, but I can’t seem to find what I need. This is for a WiFi card.

Does such a thing exist?

They actually use Thunderbolt, not USB 3.1 Gen 2. If you try to plug in Thunderbolt into USB 3.1 Gen 2 USB-C, you get nothing. It has to be Thunderbolt, which is still pretty much Intel exclusive.

You’re looking for a Netstor. There’s one that supports this for a single slot card:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/846531-REG/Dynapower_USA_NA221A_DT_1_SLOT_PCIe_EXPANSION_ENC_PCIe.html

1 Like

So what does the enclosure plug into? I see it uses a PCI-e Host Card. Where would I plug that into a PC?

The whole point of this is to expand the number of slots available for a PC. Meaning that if I have to install a PCI-e card to plug this box into, I’ve gained no PCI-e slots.

The use case is an ITX system with a gaming GPU and a WiFi card. I need both.

You could look into a M.2 Wifi card. How old is the motherboard? If it has no M.2 slot then you may have to resort to a USB based Wifi.

That doesn’t really help me use this:

YIKES. Yeah, same M.2 idea, but you need a M.2 to x4 slot.

1 Like

That… actually could work. Awesome, thanks!

This is for an ITX build and the build would have a gaming GPU so trying to get all-in-one ya know.

Wendell has tried this before on a Blackmagic capture card and GPU together on a ITX board:

1 Like