Are the absurdly high votages related to EXPO on AMD fixed yet?

I’ve been out of the country since shortly after the exploding CPU fiasco happened, with my brand new 7900X3D hopefully not being affected since I turned off EXPO on my 6000 ram immediately after I heard about it. Now that I’m coming back to that machine next week, and I’m going to need to update my Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite bios. Currently the website has AMD AGESA 1.0.0.7 C as the latest update, but is the problem fixed? I know nothing about voltages but Reddit [I know] comments were saying that 1.3 V is the new hard cut off, but is still technically too high and the limiter isn’t absolute so it could still crest that number.

Should I wait for 1.0.0.8? There are mountains of “no problems here!” comments on Reddit but has anyone like @wendell tested it to see if the problem is fixed? I really just want to update the bios and then not have to keep checking for patches like it’s a Bethesda game.

3 Likes

I read into this and think you should be fine. I read an article that is from April and mentions that AMD will provide an AGESA update soon. Then I checked the download page for you motherboard (this is the page for the 1.0 and 1.2 revision, if you have the 1.1 revision you need to go to the according download page) and down on BIOS revision F8 it already mentions this:

This F8 version is from may, so I guess this is the revised AGESA that should fix the problem.

1 Like

Thanks man, appreciate it.

The question is, is 1.3V safe though? Again I know it’s Reddit and you can find “that one comment” about the Moon being made out of cheese or anything else ridiculous, but I did see comments that 1.3V itself was a bit risky and people should set up alerts in HWMonitor to let them know.

I’ve never known how to overclock or undervolt, or any of that so I’m not really concerned about those areas, but I would like to know that turning the memory back to 6000 is gonna be fine. First time AMD buyer so I’m usually just plugging an Intel chip in and never even looking at the bios.

1 Like

I don’t know if this is a helpful comment from me, but you have a motherboard with a firmware that is supposed to fix the issue. I would say go for it and use it however you originally planned. There will be nobody who can guarantee you that nothing bad will happen, but on the other hand people have not reported that this issue persisted after the update. I do not know what the customer laws in the UK are like. I do not appreciate that both AMD and Intel now have this tendency to advertise features but tell you those are technically overclocks that void warranty at the same time. I figure if this is even legal depends on which country you are in, but it feels like to me that those companies should not be let off that easy. Still, me personally, I am not in the need for any overclocks in my systems since those companies started to act that way since I use ECC memory and go for stability. In my opinion you can either take a, in my opinion small, risk and use it with XMP, and whatever else you want to do with it, or if you don’t want to risk it, leave it at stock, but the next time you buy new hardware you should take into account which features you are even able to use on more expensive hardware without voiding the warranty.

3 Likes

In a word yes

In 4 words

Lol oems but yes

2 Likes

big thanks, man.
also @H-i-v-e

1 Like