Are places like r/Linux just detrimental to the open source and free software movement?

Do please keep in mind that links and references posted as part of a discussion does not automatically mean that the given poster of said links and references agree's with the material within.

They are provided in a given context and unless explicitly stated are only the opinion of the author that wrote said articles.

1 Like

I had never really thought about AMD until I joined here, and now i'm even less sold due to all the tribalism. I still enjoy linux, but the hardcore philosophical bit is something I've been exposed to a lot over a short time, and I just find it really silly. Endless loops of discussion about ethics and free software and privacy and Windows 10. Meanwhile I'd be happy if someone told me how to remove gestures on my sodding touchpad.

1 Like

Am a Linux user for almost 8 years and reddit user for four. /r/Linux is the most toxic Linux related community i know.

(There were some small IRC channels that are worse, but those are so small (<50) that we can ignore them, in relation to your question.)

There are several smaller communities on Reddit that are much better, but also much much smaller. Like /r/Ubuntu, /r/Debian, /r/opensource, ā€¦ Not much bad happens because almost nothing happens at all.

I've noticed that here sometimes. People just post a link and .. nothing, they don't add any discussion so the thread is kind of pointless.

You don't necessarily need to discuss on reddit. There are many communities that are just a glorified RSS reader and work very well that way.

On big problem with r/Linux are the mods. They do nothing to improve or worsen the discussion and athmosphere. And when they do something it happens silently and without transparency. For example: Phoronix was banned some time ago, then somebody opened a meta discussion to ask why that is and if it could be changed. By user demand phoronix was unbanned. Then later on, without announcement the ban was reintroduced.

1 Like

OP, I would say yes.

The boys over at /r/linux like to toot their own horn a bit too much.

And they have a raging anger boner for anything that is Electron based.

I agree that the attitude from the r/linux subreddit is a problem at times.

I'm always up for a good 'linux master race' joke, but that should of course be kept to r/linuxmasterrace. Numerous times I've seen someone ask on there along the lines of 'I use Ubuntu and I need help with...' then someone proceeds to ask 'Why don't you use Arch, Fedora, or anything that's not Ubuntu?'.

Though it seems safe to say that a large number of Linux users don't ever visit there, so there are other places to have good Linux discussion.

Ever since 2008ish, reddit has been a shitshow of circlejerking. I post on /r/linuxquestions and similar help subs simply because I try to help to make the barrier to entry as low as possible.

/r/linux is alright, but only if you stick to the articles linked and don't wade into the comments where there's inevitably people complaining about "muh gpl2" and "stop using ubuntu" and shit like that.

So, yeah. I don't think it's detrimental in and of itself, but it can definitely turn people off from open source, considering how reddit's SEO puts it among the top results when searching for something and the toxicity makes me prefer to sunbathe in a nuclear reactor than visit the comments section.

Not to mention the algorithms for which posts show up on top are way too easily gamed for something that's designed to prevent that. Which is why I prefer traditional forum display (like ours) over anything else.

I think thatā€™s just the top of the iceberg. How much decent, factual based Linux coverage is there?

Simple example: read Mark S. statement about Ubuntu dropping convergence. Then, listen to every single major Linux podcast announcing Canonical killing the desktop, and keeping just a few guys for bugs etc. etc. Itā€™s just FUD at itā€™s worst, and has been proven wrong in the meantime, and it left me baffled. If even people making a living out of this canā€™t do it right, why would the larger community do it?

Other example. Have you seen the resistance against ZFS from quite a few people in the Linux community for several years and all the FUD around that? Taking into account how great ZFS is, both from a technical perspective as a developer and user community one, combined with the fact every bit of code in it is open source, how can this be understood? Is it really because we need to promote btrfs?

And donā€™t even get me started on Wayland, the big new thing everyone MUST use, but actually has no usable implementation.

Compare this to say github coverage (proprietary) or Jolla enthusiasm (mainly closed source) and you understand something is wrong.

F(L)OSS has a larger issue imho. Call it politics, religion, stubbornness, commerce,ā€¦ I donā€™t know exactly what it is, but it is self-hurting.

Again, my opinion.

Pretty much begins and ends with Phoronix.

1 Like

That place is justā€¦ I dunno. One day its useful, the next its blog spam.

Valid argument. I mostly go there for the TL;DRā€™d Linux minor release notes and the benchmarks.

Are there many good sources? (I need to do the linux news again, but i think i need help with it).

I think the only ones that come to mind are omgubuntu which i think is somewhat decent, fedoramagazine, and cronweekly for what new things are out.

cronweekly is my go-to for releases.

fedoramagazine, havenā€™t read it. Not big into fedora like half the forum seems to be.

omgubuntu kinda turns me off because of the name, that said, most of the articles are good quality, but can be a bit of a source of hype.

Iā€™m not sure what your opinion of Jupiter Broadcasting is, but since they retired Linux Action Show, they succeded it with Linux Action News, 1hour-ish podcast on the weekly news. Might be worth checking out.

Thereā€™s also http://lxer.com/, which is basically a Linux news aggregator. Pretty good if you ask me, they let you filter by article type (ex: tutorial, news, review) and group (ex: Gnome, Linux, Fedora, Arch) so you do reddit without being on reddit.

2 Likes

Should we do it ourselves, right here?

Edit: what I mean is, some sort of news feed to copy paste articles that are factual and proven. Very strongly moderated, just facts.

The problem is, instead of fixing whats broken we just create a new one to add to the chaos. Might work for a little while but then go the way of the Dodo.

And what is the ā€œbrokenā€ part in your eyes ? Because the submission here was to ā€œreportā€ news that are ā€œprovenā€ in some way. How is that ā€œjust adds to the chaosā€ ?

A feed i dont think is the best way, you just loose infomration in the noise.

I think weekly short topics are more helpful. I did some that mainly focused on some gaming news on Linux and any intersting peices of news i thought the community here would be specifically interested in.

It went to the side when i got a little busy, but I had the idea of possibly creating a PM or something similar for a few people to collaberate on. Then converting the PM to a live thread. Repeat every week.

Iā€™d support that/contribute :slight_smile: