Are my NVME temps fine?

Hey there I currently have a ThinkStation P620 along with 2x 980 Pro NVME drives and ive noticed they are idling at around 50c and just wondering as I don’t have heatsinks on the drives would this kind of temperature cause damage down the road as im using them quite heavily and seems the temps are hitting the high 60s-70s Would buying a few heatsinks be worth it?

here is a pic from Samsung Drive Software when idle on Drive 1 (C Drive)

My 970 Pro, 1TB is showing a temp as 50c

Also showing 348.5 TB written.

lol yeah… 48’c is actually quite cool running compared to a lot of other nvmes.
mine has a ridiculously sized lump of metal on top to try and keep it cool. and often tips 65’c :confused:

It’s absolutely fine! NVME drives don’t really suffer high temperature, quite the opposite. NAND memory likes temperature and can degrade faster if it’s too cool when writing. What could be the issue is the controller on the drive throttling, but that’s about it.

They won’t do bad for the drives, not at all. Realistically you could even get away with a VRM/Raspberry Pi little squared heatsink to put on the controller. If you’re not gonna spend much on them and you’re often loading the drives up to 60-70°C I’d buy a couple just to be on the safe side.

It’s absolutely fine! NVME drives don’t really suffer high temperature, quite the opposite. NAND memory likes temperature and can degrade faster if it’s too cool when writing. What could be the issue is the controller on the drive throttling, but that’s about it.

That’s a relief, it took me months and an arm and a leg to be able to get this new workstation and id be pretty annoyed if I had it break a few months/year or so down the line due to not having a heatsink, i may get this as its cheap and a two pack and hopefully it should maybe put my mind at rest, thanks for the response and help!

1 Like

Hmm, then id assume id be fine, as I just got this workstation and saw the temps and thought id ask around here to see if it was normal and whatnot, thanks for the response!

Sure, those would do the job and surely not over-cool the drives.

Just for reference, here’s one article about NAND temperatures vs endurance: Influence of temperature of storage, write and read operations on multiple level cells NAND flash memories - ScienceDirect

I felt the need to not let you or other people just go by my word.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.