Arch or Gentoo

But how do you do that from f disk?

Your using fdisk.. so you need to enter all the partitions in manually. That includes if it's primary, partition number, starting sector, and end sector.

I thought that it did that manually, how do you key that in? I am new, should I just go to the man pages?

Don't use fdisk, use cfdisk. It has a nice interface and is easier for me to track at least. Then when you make your partitions do

mkfs.xfs -f /dev/sda

mkfs.xfs -f /dev/sdb

mount /dev/sda /mnt

mount /dev/sdb /mnt/home

Or whatever your partition scheme is and it sets it up like you want it. I normally dedicate a whole hard drive to my /home tho to avoid inconveniences.

Oh by the way you can set swap in cfdisk as well. Then

mkswap /dev/sda2 && swapon /dev/sda2

or whatever your partition is.

1 Like

Have a look here for an example.
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Partition/fdisk_partitioning.html

You usualy run fdisk /dev/sda to partition the primary disk

p to print what paritions already exist

d to delete a partition

n to create a new paritition. It then takes you through creating it.

You usualy want 3 partitions for a basic setup

a boot partition 128mb-500mb
a swap partition (size of your ram usualy to help with suspending etc.)
a primary partition (the rest of the drive)

It will automatically suggest the first free cluster. and will automatically suggest the last free cluster (you can specify the size for the first two paritions and let it use everything for the last)

Youll need to use t to change the partition type of the swap partition ( number 82 is the type)

You may also need to greate a GPT table (g) first

@omega_alpha_psi also note that if you have set many partitions on your boot drive you cannot just flat the whole list of partitions you made in one command.

They all have to be separate. And if they have separate mount labels you have to do them in their own orders.

For note, /mnt is your boot drive root, k? So

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

goes to your root. I normally make that 20 GB as thats all it uses. Then if I have another set of partitions, lets call one scratch for example

mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/scratch

it will mount your system as /scratch. But remember you have to set up the partitions individually in cfdisk first, then format them with mkfs. If you don't know your drive labels you can always look in cfdisk again for them.

Oh, and cfdisk always defaults to /dev/sda first, so to go to sdb or whatever

cfdisk /dev/sdb

and you get that drive.

You said you were new at this so I decided to wring it out for you. The archlinux IRC isn't that helpful.

Thanks, now I have another problem, the network connection, since I don't have ethenet running to my room from the router, I just use the wifi on my laptop. Now the problem lies in arch not seeing the shared network connection I set up on gnome, is there any other way?

What its called an opinion do you like free speech or not lol?

1 Like

Okay, Now I have run into another problem, with my phone acting like an USB ethernet device it is not recognized and is not treated as such, how do I get it to connect to my phone?

open a terminal and do wifi-menu or sudo wifi menu if you are in the installation now.

Why not open a help thread?

It can be free speech but the information is stupid. Theres no "server" version of linux. Its all the same.

you realize there is literally a server version of most Linux Distros?
Or that some are specifically tailored to be server OSes?
Ubuntu Server
Suse Enterprise Server Linux
etc

Yes which is just the desktop version with either X disabled at boot or no graphical environment at all.

I was simply saying THERE ARE DISTROS MADE SPECIFICALLY FOR SERVERS
get off your high horse please and thank you...
yes, that may be all they are but it doesn't mean there arent server version of the distros.
I dont get why you even care to make the distinction lol, what is the point other than being a salty @FaunCB as usual

I would Say OpenBSD is better than FreeBSD if you are working on servers or for automation simply for the security benefits, Gentoo is absolutely a timesink unless you are a Hobbyist and Arch is also basically a hobby thing, but Arch can to be used for things other than the desktop. Its good for routers and servers alike if you are either not concerned with stability or you are ready to comit the time to taking care of that box all the time. Arch needs to massaged really regularly to keep it healthy and happy, that's why I use CentOS for more serious things.

As far as my recommednation goes, you'll learn a lot with either of those but I would reccomend CentOS if you want to learn a slightly more marketable set of skills.

Me: "These two are more hobby/timesink than representative of *nix in production"
You: "Use this hobby BSD that's used in production even less than gentoo, I promise it's better"

I'll refine my stance, Arch over Gentoo, OpenBSD over FreeBSD and CentOS for anything serious. If you want to learn things that are relevant a minimal CentOS install is great.

Necro

@omega_alpha_psi, message me if you want this reopened.