Arch Linux Without AUR

Hey again forum members, WolfTech716 here with another Arch Linux question.

I'm trying to install software that I use fairly reguarly (TeamViewer, Chrome/Chromium (for watching Netflix with the wifey) etc.) and was wondering how to go about it for the particular programs. When I go to the website for TeamViewer I am able to grab the Linux package, though when I load it, the window that is supposed to pop open for accepting the EULA is nothing but a slim black line, any guesses on that? Also, I am running it through the terminal and the last thing that is stated is: `Launching Teamviewer GUI...

TeamViewer Window Screenshot:

`For Chrome/Chromium, I can only find a way to install it through the AUR which I'm trying to stay away from currently. Thanks for anyone that can help!

Sincerely,

WolfTech

I mean.. It's Arch. there's only roughly 8000 supported packages. Literally everything else is by the community either in the community repo or AUR.

Thats just Arch, you have no choice but to use the AUR unless you want to start messing around with mixing non package manager software and package manager software which never ends well.

not sure whats up with your screenshot, its tiny.

1 Like

As a long-time Arch user, the far majority of users will require the use of AUR.

For me, AUR provides:
- Google Chrome
- Nextcloud client
- google desktop music player
- firefox-developer

And many more. While you could hypothetically manage all of this and compile it yourself, it takes a ton of time, thus the AUR is an amazing convenience. Just do your due diligence on which AUR packages are legit.

1 Like

@Eden Yeah my bad, about the screenshot, not sure what's up with it either, I'll see if I can get a better one. This is certainly becoming frustrating, because for some strange reason I can't get pacaur to install for me, whenever I choose it I get some issue with "cower" and then it decides to fail.

@DoctorDemand any recommendations on how to truly check and see if the packages are legitimate? Thanks!

So the AUR theoretically comes with similar risks to going out on the internet and downloading packages from websites. Not exactly the same, but similar.

Firstly, use a secure AUR front-end. I highly recommend Pacaur. It will stop a AUR package from being downloaded if a GPG key is invalid, for example.

Also, AUR packages for popular pieces of software are a safe bet. Just look at the comments section, which always has a lot of users conversing, and see if any obvious issues are there.

PS: Because it's called 'pacaur', it combines various tasks that can apply to the AUR and Pacman at the sametime. For example: pacaur -Syyu will check and apply an update from both your arch linux repo and AUR packages.

1 Like

@DoctorDemand, okay I have a quick question then, whenever I go to install pacaur, it runs through and then fails at cower like this:

cower 17-2  (2017-04-24 14:27)
( Unsupported package: Potentially dangerous ! )
==> Edit PKGBUILD ? [Y/n] ("A" to abort)
==> ------------------------------------
==> n

==> cower dependencies:
 - curl (already installed)
 - pacman (already installed)
 - yajl (already installed)
 - perl (already installed) [makedepend]

==> Continue building cower ? [Y/n]
==> -------------------------------
==> 

==> Building and installing package
==> Making package: cower 17-2 (Fri May  5 16:37:20 MST 2017)
==> Checking runtime dependencies...
==> Checking buildtime dependencies...
==> Retrieving sources...
  -> Downloading cower-17.tar.gz...
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                             Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100 25661  100 25661    0     0  26914      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 26898
  -> Downloading cower-17.tar.gz.sig...
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                             Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100   310  100   310    0     0    412      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--   412
==> Validating source files with md5sums...
cower-17.tar.gz ... Passed
cower-17.tar.gz.sig ... Skipped
==> Verifying source file signatures with gpg...
cower-17.tar.gz ... FAILED (unknown public key 1EB2638FF56C0C53)
==> ERROR: One or more PGP signatures could not be verified!
==> ERROR: Makepkg was unable to build cower.
==> Restart building cower ? [y/N]

Any advice, as I cannot get past this. Thanks again for all your help!!

Hmm, don't remember having that issue with cower.

You can add the keys manually to your keyring... can you see which one is causing issues? (Edit: Lol derp, says it at unknown public key. Try adding it manually.)

This is a common issue with the firefox-developer package.

2 Likes

@DoctorDemand Yeah my bad, I just read the comments (at the tail-end of work, though that's no excuse...) and the "developer" has posted a fix for my particular issue. Thanks for all your help though, and I'll be marking everything as solved; wonderful community!

1 Like

I don't know how you would live without the latest and greatest version of Linux CK lol