Arc A380 as a video encoder with a 4770

Hey everyone, I was wondering if I could get some opinions on a couple of things.

I recently upgraded to a R7 7700X system from a 2700X. The last thing for me to upgrade is the GPU and I’m waiting on 7900 XTX custom boards to be in stock.

The plan with my old system was to give it to my brother including the RTX 2080 however I was hoping to have the new GPU by now. So he may be waiting until January sometime for his GPU which may not be the end of the world but ideally i’d like to hand it off sooner even if that means using an Arc GPU for a month…

Rather than make him wait for me to get a new GPU I had a thought about buying an Arc A380 as a stopgap GPU. Reason 1 would be to just see what Arc is like for the fun of it and reason 2 would be potential video encode in the future.

As part of that future video encode I am doing some VHS tape digitization soon. My plan there was to use my old 4770 (non-k) system with OBS. However I think the 4770 only has H264 encode and definitely won’t have H265 or AV1.

So I was wondering if anyone knows if a 4770 can handle H265 encode on the CPU at 720p? I’d like high quality files and ideally a low file size. If there is the possibility of it struggling I’ll probably just get the A380.

Has the A380 been tested, with older mainboards/CPUs?

No clue. I assume it would still work at least for encoding. Re-BAR is likely required for any kind of gaming workload.

I think I’ll skip on it anyway.

I may be wrong but resizable bar is crucial to it’s performance

I imagine it would be when gaming, but I’m not sure about pure encode/decode of H265 and AV1.

The 4770 doesn’t encode h265 with hardware acceleration, but I believe the CPU could keep the 720p encoding in real time with software encoding with a very light system OS

It’s gonna be really slow, even at 720p. I tried encoding with a 4790K and it’s not fun. If you’re looking an H265 encorder you could buy an Nvidia GTX960. It’s gonna cost way less than even an A380. I don’t think there’s anything lower than that in tier and price.
But keep in mind that there’s some degradation if you go with hardware encoders. Is mostly unnoticeable, but it may be depending on the set of conditions.

I’ll give it a try at some point very soon and if I feel like I need a GPU I’ll grab one. I may also just go with a an RX 6500 which is roughly the same price as the A380 though AV1 could have been nice to have. I’m not crazy concerned about the cost as long as it isn’t too insane. Finding a 960 today could be a little bit of a challenge where I can pick up a cheap 6500 easily. Boxing Day deals could also be worth it if there is a cheap CPU/Motherboard/RAM combo which would give me more flexibility with CPU encoding.

Yeah, totally makes sense. What I was thinking is that even spending 150$ for a GPU just for encoding might be a bit much so a 50$ GTX 960 would be a better deal, even if it takes time to find and not new.
A 6500 or an A380 would absolutely do wonders and maybe be even faster at encoding.

Sure! I guess a Ryzen 7 1700 would also be a pretty good device to encode with for not a lot of money and lossless.

Yeah I’ll see what I can find. May go with a 5600G system so I can re-purpose it as a HTPC streaming system once I’m done with the VHS tapes.

Cheap B550 board, 5600G, 16GB of RAM should be had for under $300 CAD I think but I’d have to look into it.

1 Like

4770 board is pci-e 2.0.
Intel states that a PCI Express 3.0 (or newer) ×16 slot is required from the motherboard (its a pci-e 4.0 card)
resizable bar is a requirement.
so you would need tenth gen intel or newer, or 5000 series amd or newer.
so no mate it wont work on your old build.

as for the cpu encoding it wont be fun on the 4770 and its still a bit of a chore on a 2700x
especially at high quality/near lossless

also small file size and high quality not really a thing even with h265.
the whole point of the h265 encoder is to compress the video and reduce its file size as a result.
if your not going to use the compression or just lightly apply it, then your files will be for the most part
relatively big and probably almost as big.

so i would hold off on the 380. you dont really have a rig to put it in after and resale value once your done, OUCH!.

The Asus Z87-K board I have is PCIe 3.0 - I just checked the manual’s spec.

File size isn’t a huge problem, but getting a small file size with the best quality would be nice.

yep but your still missing resizable bar on both your intel and amd 2700x. :frowning:

My 7700X supports it. My brother is taking the 2080 and 2700X. So for the month id be using it as a gaming card I’d have ReBAR. The 4770 Z87 system won’t have it but I don’t think encode/decode would be affected by it as much.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.