Apple EOLs OpenGL and OpenCL in next macOS... WHAT THE EFF?!?

Considering that Vulkan can be used on top of Metal, it’s kinda hard to argue that more people won’t end up using Vulkan than if Metal didn’t exist.

TCP/IP originated outside of Windows, and in fact the original implementation of TCP/IP was in BSD. That’s where TCP/IP really caught on. Eventually Microsoft used the BSD network stack in Windows, because the BSD sockets API and TCP/IP stack were the gold standard for networking at the time.

3 Likes

The argument is that in the absence of the Metal API, Apple would be forced to add support for Vulkan.

That’s not a very strong argument, it’s more of an assumption.

1 Like

I would argue that it is often the case that an existing closed standard is the impetus of open alternatives. Take for example proprietary Unix, which inspired the creation of both GNU and Linux. How about CUDA, which prompted Apple to introduce an alternative open standard, OpenCL? What about G-Sync vs FreeSync? The mechanism for FreeSync already existed but had very little attention until G-Sync came out.

3 Likes

Don’t know if apple would have gone vulkan if MoltenVK didn’t exist. But it’s kind of irrelevant. Metal does exist, and existed before Vulkan.

Fact is, they released Metal before Vulkan was even a thing. Apple saw a need, built their own thing and that was that.

So bitching and moaning that they didn’t use Vulkan… well. It wasn’t an option when Apple decided they needed something. DirectX wasn’t an option either. There was no open or closed alternative to fill the need so they built something themselves.

And now, there’s a shim. So you can use Vulkan if you like, anyway.

So i’m not quite sure what the problem is, other than people desperately looking for a reason to be angry.

You’re already going to have to use a bunch of proprietary APIs to code for the Mac in any case.

Dropping openGL is another issue. However - someone can write an openGL shim (openGL equivalent of MoltenVK to translate into metal) which it shouldn’t be a huge problem if required, because openGL is an open standard and metal is well documented.

But really. Its time to get off openGL for performance reasons, or competitors who do so will eat your lunch. Deprecating OpenGL is apple’s kick in the pants to encourage that.

Letting app developers be lazy and continue with openGL (because they can’t be bothered updating their code), when on windows they’re going to be using DX12 or Vulkan for improved performance is just going to put the application performance on Mac further behind.

This forces the issue. The developer either re-writes for Metal, MoltenVK, or the niche they filled is open to someone else writing a native Apple application.

You may not agree with that strategy, but this is Apple’s strategy for ensuring that crufty old application software isn’t carried forward. Similar to the way they deprecated Rosetta pretty quick to drop non-native applications with Lion.

1 Like

So it begins…

2 Likes

apple is screwing themselves over HARD on this one. Still wondering what adobes move is gonna be

1 Like

crosses fingers this doesn’t make Windows even more of a juggernaut.

Seriously, people like macOS because of the ‘utopian’ plug-in-play style of system. If all their products leave mac, they are x99999 more likely to switch to windows, and not Linux. All it does is make macOS smaller, Windows bigger, and in turn, marginalizing Linux even more.

Wow. Apple has lost a big name in the 3D animation business. Wonder if this means big studios will either migrate to Windows or Blender… If big studios start moving to Blender, that could finally end Maya and 3DS Max’s reign.

If Windows as a Service extends to the Enterprise, they will jump ship and stop updating their systems to keep that garbage off their systems.

1 Like

I see this as a strategy to pull a MS DirectX like move on mobile game developing. They don’t care that much for their general purpose computers to push into the competitive gaming market.

they end of life openGL and openCL to force developers to develop for metal so they have more control over the whole stack, in turn, making it slightly more difficult for those same developers to port their products to other operating systems.

See, this is why I was against the industry adopting Apple ProRes as a broadcast standard. It’s also why I completely disagree with the non-free exFAT being made a SD card association standard, which can’t be read by ANY vanilla Linux image because exFAT is non-free proprietary code, AND IT’S IN EVERY SDXC CARD.

1 Like

Holding a torch to the wrong tree.
The right sheep to burn are the SAAS billionares who don’t perform major rewrites after reaching highest share values in company history year after year.
Open CL is broken in a LOT of ways.
The way ALL adobe applications handle the image canvas as a texture doesn’t even render correctly - it’s poorly integrated because only on professional cards is it supposed to be handled correctly.
On top of that Adobe are an Nvidia commercial, autodesk have fallen stagnant releasing updates that actually make the UI trememendously slow - it’s almost as if the software is 2x worse than what it used to be.
I couldn’t be happier the fire is under their ass.

1 Like

The thing is, it’s not. They wont change as a result they will just stop supporting Mac.

4 Likes

All the nonfree stuff that somehow made it to become a standard has not helped with anything. It is just that a big name stands behind it (see VHS vs Video2000. Video2000 was the better system, but VHS won anyway).

We are talking big corporations fighting it out here. The short of it is “more work costs money, mac does not have significant marketshare, give it the axe.”

1 Like

Something nobody seems to have mentioned here before (or maybe I missed it)

Apple created OpenCL

Also don’t equate EOL with End of Support or Removal from the platform.
So much in MacOS has been EOL for about a decade now. Just open up bash on a mac and look at the version.

It’s all antiquated and frankly I’m amused that people still spend time developing for OS X / iOS given what a hostile platform it can be to code for.

That reminds me, does anyone know what licence Vulkan is under? If it’s GPL3, then there’s the reason it was never considered.

Is there evidence that blender will continue to support macOS? When I looked into it, the response to deprecating OpenGL/CL was essentially, “looks like Apple users are SOL.”

1 Like

Should be Apache 2.0 afaik
I think previously Khronos Free Use License ?

Well, as we can see it kinda does. Even if apple wouldn’t kick it out of their OS (which they probably will a year later), EOL simply means software development for the platform will be halted by many companies.