Apple EOLs OpenGL and OpenCL in next macOS... WHAT THE EFF?!?

Are you talking about MoltenVK or something else?

Yeah, but remember, this is Adobe, Autodesk and Commercial software we’re talking about. They don’t want to support legacy systems. They want to force obsolescence.

1 Like

yeah there’s moltenvk, but there’s also automatic OGL translation

I wasn’t aware of that. When i was reading through the Blender forum (or maybe mailing list, don’t remember), they seemed to think that there was considerable work involved if Blender was going to work on future versions of macOS, but maybe they’re uninformed.

vulkan spec is compliant with OCL too, I think what’ll probably need refactoring is the cuda backend, which is the more mature and better supported one.

What are you talking about? Can you provide some details or a link?

autotranslation is via spritekit/scenekit/coreimage, and they have wrappers.

yes, this is a strongarm drop like usb-c and the headphone jack.

No, opengl programs will not crash down in a rain of fire when the update is pushed

2 Likes

But these are just high level libraries built on top of OpenGL/Metal, correct? That doesn’t help port existing applications to a different graphics API.

Technical possibilities aside, this happened. And the reasoning behind that is plainly written out right there.

Also I remember that Adobe Premiere just recently released some options to their windows client that were Apple exclusive before. For years.

they offer wrappers

1 Like

yeah, that has more to do with hardware cert requirements and apple not wanting to take the L on metal development than it being hard to port OGL/CL code, though.

and again, also probably has to do with cuda branches of the codebase.

don’t get me wrong I think it’s dumb, but it isn’t exactly cataclysmic

What Mac has an Nvidia gpu?

There are egpu’s I guess…

1 Like

yeah most people doing editing, 3d or cad have one of those volcano things hooked up to their trashcan

Thus opening a market to someone else.

Blender exists for Mac. Pretty sure they’re working on a Vulkan renderer (and if they aren’t they damn well should be). MoltenVK will handle that. No need to give up MacOS, if that’s what platform you’re on - for blender.

Ultimate irony (from an open source whining perspective) would be this move killing Adobe and helping blender take over their segment. All because Apple ditched OpenGL.

they do compute with OCL/cuda iirc

the realtime engine (not even out yet) uses OGL

also adobe doesn’t have any 3d programs

I think Apple has been fucked over by Intel for long enough and it is shifting to making its own hardware down to the CPU with some A? chip starting with Mac Air and moving up the line over the coming years.

x64 is a pain in there arse and PC’s are eating Mac’s lunch for such a small amount of profit they make on devices.

To Apple PC’s will become devices and be all Apple all locked in no more Intel fuck ups.

High end mac desktop development will either move to cloud or be less and less a thing apple do. There making so much money now. Trying to rule x64 is insane.

1 Like

Definitely this.

Even Microsoft are trying to make their applications cross platform now with non-intel options.

With less intel dependence, Microsoft, Apple and everyone else are more free to use the objectively best CPU for the job (in terms of price:performance).

Both Apple and to a lesser extent (but they’re trying), Microsoft are in the unique situation of being able to customise OS to hardware to give themselves a competitive advantage.

I expect them to both pursue this in the next 5 years or so.

small amount of profit

its the company with the largest cash war chest outside of military contractors on the planet

1 Like

I think they mean specifically the Mac PCs but even still they are selling some of them for upwards of $5000 so for the hardware they are making a huge amount on them.