Title. Integrated GPU performance? Overall speed? I’m more interested in Fedora, but yeah. Might buy for budget 24/7 pc.
Hey, I am using the G4400 with Linux. To be a little more specific, I am running a headless Ubuntu 16.04LTS server on it. Performance doesn’t really differ from what you’d expect it to be under Windows. I can’t say anything about iGPU since the host is headless. If you are doing light work, i.e Thunderbird, web browsing, word processing etc. this might just be the CPU for you. I think even some light gaming or image editing will be very possible!
I’d second what @Bayden said - although I’m running a headless 16.04LTS g4600 Pentium + 16GB RAM as my Ubiquity nvr.
Right now though, it is not headless and I have lightdm up with Chrome showing the live-stream from the cameras.
Just running Chrome though, eats a fair bit of CPU considering hardware acceleration doesn’t work in Linux (accelerated_video_decode is disabled).
It should be fine for very basic tasks though.
Off topic but…
Just going to drop this here, if you’re interested
Phronix did full review of it
For a good laugh you can see my G4400 thread:
I thought it looked like a cool cpu and skylakes iGPU was a huge jump over hasewell.
It’s really hard to make any recommendations based on a few sentences, especially without any context of the goal of the build. It isn’t a bad CPU for the low end. It’s a shame the Hyperthreaded ones got the prices jacked up.
Anyone know the timeframe for the rollout of the next Intel processors? I think it’s just a few months out. If it can wait, I would definitely save up and grab one of those. If they have something like an upgraded version of the G4560 for ~$60 then that’s going to be a steal, as well as something that sells out fast. I was pretty happy grabbing my G1850 the day it came out for $44. It isn’t anything special, but it keeps me happy and it was dirt cheap.
Cheers mate!