Anyone Used an FT232 with a Wemos S2 Mini? What pins should I connect

Hey All,

I am having issues with an Wemos S2 Mini not showing up as a com device within windows or linux.
I thought I might be able to bypass the type C port on the device and boot/flash straight with the GPIO pins.
I have found this image

I have connected the following;

ft232 VCC to VBUS Wemos S2
ft232 GND to GND Wemos S2
ft232 TX to RX Wemos S2
ft232 RX to TX Wemos S2

Esphome still doesnt seem to find it (i can see a com port but that will be more due to the ft232 i imagine)

Cheers for the help

Some boards are more user friendly and don’t require you holding down buttons or pressing buttons to flash.

I’d imagine with this one, you’d plug it in, point esphome at the serial port and click the rst button… or you’d hold the rst button as you’re plugging it in, and you’d let it go when you hit enter in esphome.

Yeah it apparently is the ‘0’ button… but nothing happens it never shows in device manager or ttyUSB when i try and do that…

I have also tried the ‘0’ button and quickly press the RST but that also does nothing… So i was trying to bypass it by going straight to the GPIO and try and force it to flash (i only assume that what happens)

The only thing i can think of now is that they are just dead…

So it turned out that the 2 boards that I had were dead… fresh out of packet but both were DOA… shame because i am out of return window

I received the other 2 today and instantly they were picked up when plugged in to the USB port.

What i also had to work out was that the ESPhome webpage is just garbage at actually working. I found that adafruit has a web based flasher which worked perfectly with flashing an initial image.

I now need to work out how to get the 4 port board working

1 Like