Anyone tried the GIGABYTE X670E AORUS PRO X with linux?

I am currently looking to build another multi use PC since my significant other took over my Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX. And since that board has be amazingly stable on just about every flavor of linux I have tried, I was interested in the GIGABYTE X670E AORUS PRO X for a nice little upgrade or the ASRock X670E Steel Legend. That ASRock X670E Steel Legend has been all over the forum as a perfect choice but was hoping to build out an all white system. Why? Cause I want to. =) But I digress. There is very little info on linux support for the GIGABYTE X670E AORUS PRO X and was hoping someone might be able to share their experience. The Wifi 7 drivers are available for linux and it looks like the Bindo drivers are horrible from what I have been reading.

GIGABYTE X670E AORUS PRO X anyone?

I ran Asus ROG Strix x670e-a. The original board that machine ran was Gigabyte X670E(Board did want stay off). Both board run Pop OS Just fine. Same os install.

Well most boards generally use the same controllers like audio chips, lan chips, usb controllers, asmedia controllers etc etc so they mostly should work very similar.
At least in regards to the basic features the boards have.
It´s just certain manufacturer specific things such as RGB control, sensor monitoring,
and such that could be a potential issue with Linux.
Because hardware manufacturers don´t really offer any support for that on Linux.
And makes you depending on Open source alternative projects that might or,
might not work with your specific board.
In regards to iommu groupings on AM5 if you are into virtualisation with pci-e pass trough
those are generally all over the place depending on bios updates.

Also if you don´t particularly need a X670E board for your setup.
Asrock now comes with a white / silver B650 Steel legend wifi,
which from a feature perspective for it´s price does look pretty reasonable to me.
But of course X670E does give you a bit more flexibility.
And the Gigabyte X670E Aorus pro X looks nice. :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing your experiences and knowledge. I am focused on the x670e chipset for that additional pci-e lanes. A 10GbE nic will be installed since I do ALOT of virtualization testing and will need a nice high speed connection to my storage/virtualization network for transferring images. With that being said, I am still going to be using this for gaming, VR specifically. Have been chomping at the bit for the index 2 to be released but it just crickets.

But if this was just a gaming rig I would definitely go with the B650 chipset seeing that my B550(which I am currently using) has been stellar! I have had a little trouble with the sensors in linux but nothing that couldn’t be worked out over time.

Looking forward to pulling the trigger on the motherboard soon.

1 Like