Anyone have success with a 4 x 16GB RAM set up with AM5?

I currently have a MSI MAG Mortar B650 with a 7900x and a 6950XT, and with 32GBs of 6000 RAM.

The machine is running great, but I was thinking of increasing my RAM, but I since I already have a 2 x 16GB kit, I was hoping I could just get another of the exact same kit and run 4 slots, but I also know 4 slots has been tricky for DDR5 on AM5.

So I’m interested in hearing if anyone has had any success

Check the QVL for your board. First thing to look at whenever memory compatibility is concerned.

Shouldn’t be a problem with compatible memory. That’s what 4 slots are for after all. You may have to sacrifice some clock speed depending on how the memory controller likes your memory.

2DPC is particularly troublesome with dual rank memory, not so much with single rank. I’m not sure how many ranks your 16GB DIMMs have, but I think they’re all single rank and only 32GB+ are dual rank for DDR5.

1 Like

Thanks very much for the reply.

I did everything you said - the RAM is dual channel but only 1 rank per channel.

So is that what you meant by single rank? Or does the fact it’s dual channel and one rank per channel mean it’s dual channel?

Channels are basically the amount of DIMMs you put in there and maximum is two (dual channel). 3rd and 4th slot means 2DPC (two DIMMs per channel) because there are only two channels and four slots.

rank is a technical term. two ranks usually means chips on both sides, resulting in double the capacity. 32GB DIMMs are 16GB on each side. Which means the memory controller has double the trouble managing that very DIMM. Putting 4 of those usually is big trouble. See the various 128GB RAM threads here in the forums why.

I have AM5 with 2x 2x Rank 32GB which works fine. I do not have experience with 4x16GB config.
But official AM5 specs says it’ll work but AMD specifies 4x single rank memory for only 3600 MT/s. Doesn’t mean it won’t run faster, just that the specs don’t guarantee higher speeds.

Maybe someone here in the forums has first hand experience with running that config. I always buy biggest DIMMs I can get because 2DPC is a thing I avoid like the plague.

I doubt that the MSI MAG Mortar B650 is a good board for four 16GB DIMMs.
If, in addition, the IMC of your CPU is rather mediocre, you can quickly end up with bad timings and low bandwidth.
And there are no 4 DIMM kits, the XMP or EXPO profile is only valid for two DIMMs.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.