Anyone familiar with modding a BIOS for a laptop?

I have an EVGA SC17, and it’s very unique in that it outputs via the dGPU in place of the iGPU. Unfortunately, there is no way of enabling the iGPU. I came across a post on the EVGA forums with someone who had actually managed to mod their BIOS so that they could enable the iGPU. If possible, this would mean that GPU passthrough is actually a possibility… and even if it isn’t I’d like to enable it anyway to conserve a bit of power.

The problem is there is literally next to no half decent documentation that I can find on doing this… probably because of how risky doing such a thing is. I’d also really like to be able to adjust the fan curve, but that’s another issue.

By chance, would anyone here know anything about modding a BIOS, or willing to point me in the right direction? I don’t understand why someone would do something so extreme only to not document how they did it…

I don’t know too much about this personally but the people over at https://www.bios-mods.com seem pretty knowledgeable. Might be a good place to start?

1 Like

Yeah, biosmods is alright.

1 Like

Sweet. Thank you!

I came across them a couple days back. Really great resource.

I’ve been able to dump my BIOS with afuwin, edit it with AMIBCP, but when trying to flash it, afuwin fails to create a secure session. So I’m going to try afudos and see if I have any better luck.

I’ve never done anything like this before so it’s pretty nice. I’ll leave any findings I come across here for other people to learn from.

Edit: I know it was suggested that the nvram could be locked, and that worries me given other SC17 owners have had a lot of success

Tried using Intel’s FPT software and the flash was successful… But now I’ve got a brick. My fault. I’ll own that much. I’m getting a programmer so I can fix it myself

1 Like