Anyone able to identify this disk shelf?

I came across this disk shelf for cheap while looking for something to turn into a NAS. However, I am uncertain what manufacturer this is. I would like to source some extra HDD caddies. The person I got it from did not know who the manufacturer is either.

The inside is a bit of a rat’s nest, but hopefully someone will recognize what manufacturer/model this is.

It is 3U high, with 16 3,5" drive bays. I’ll list the specs, just in case:

Motherboard: Intel Server Board SE7520AF2
RAM: 6x 1GB DDR2 (unsure if these are original)
CPU: 2x Intel Xeon 3.2GHz (with EM64T)
HDD: Not original drives. Had 4x 4TB WD Red and 1x 60GB SSD (with FreeNAS installed)
PSU: Not original. XFX branded 650 watt.
Expansion cards: RocketRAID 2240, 2x Dell H310

To me it looks a bit like this:

http://www.servercase.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CK3116&Category_Code=3U

Which looks a bit like an older chenbro rm316, but the power supply is on the other side?

Disk trays are Not compatible, so google similar models till you find an exact match…

Some drive trays have small “springs” lining the top and bottom, so might be easier to spot ones that will not fit your chassis?

I concur it looks like a chenbro server case, it is not a disk shelf.

@samaron, take a look at the serial number stamped on any of the drive caddies. They should be googlable or search on eBay.

Note chenbro cases are common in Europe but not so much in the US. You may have better luck searching on eBay Germany or the UK site.

Chenbro was close, but not quite the same. By pure chance I actually found the answer while browsing images on Google. It showed up in the related images after clicking on one.

This appears to be an older version of a Norco RPC-3116 case. Essentially just a budget case with a backplane. All other hardware is put in by the owner. This would explain the rat’s nest inside…

The person I got it from says it came from an IT consultant company that closed down, and he did replace a couple of things inside while in his possession. I guess the company got a bit cheap.

I found disk trays for sale from an online vendor: http://www.ipcdirect.net/hard-drive-tray-for-rpc-case-rpc-4220-rpc-3216-rpc-3116-rpc-2208-rpc-1204-ss-500/

2 Likes

Nice, yeah, that makese sense. And would explain the 3116 in the product name from that no-name rebadge.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.