Anybody try a Framework "Seconds" laptop?

Apparently Framework offers some last-gen models at a deep discount. They are described by Framework this way:

Factory Seconds laptops are new systems that use excess parts. Rather than scrapping this material, we combine it with new parts, run it through our normal factory tests, and make the resulting laptops available at greatly reduced prices.

What does ‘new systems that use excess parts’ mean exactly? It sounds like doublespeak for ‘some parts were defective, so we swapped them out for new/refurbed parts.’ But I may be misinterpreting that.

In any event, the prices are attractive, and I was wondering if anyone else had purchased/tried one of these ‘excess’ DIY laptops.

EDIT: Direct link to product page:

I’ve just been through a pretty negative experience where FW shipped me two badly warped FW13 units (second was RMA for the first). What’s strange is that this warping was publicly addressed by the company before my initial purchase and seems to still persist nearly 30 days after that purchase.

I have some serious concerns about this company, but am waiting for my refund to finish processing before I say much more in public.

Take that for what you will. My unit was sold new (i.e., not seconds), from FW, pre-assembled.

2 Likes

I’m hoping yours is an isolated experience, but it’s a good data point nonetheless. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like