Anybody Else Waiting?

I’m waiting. I will probably upgrade my 1080 Ti to a 3080 but it is always good to see the options.

They, didn’t?

they said the 3070 is 1.6x-2x the performance as the 2080ti…

so instead of $1200/$999 for that level of performance you are getting it for $599

If you dont think they did that b/c they are expecting something from consoles or rdna2… then idk what to tell ya.

Could have told me that Nvidia was so scared. That was the rumor half a year ago. Including they would be pulling in the 30-series Titan (which they kinda did in the form of the 3090).

I’m currently rocking a 2080 and I’m most likely getting a 3080 but I’ll also wait for the reviews. I definitely don’t need the upgrade but you know…

Can’t complain about my RTX2070 right now, specially because the newest game I play currently is Forza Horizon 4.
I don’t think I’ll upgrade any time soon.

That 3080 looks super appealing (benchmarks pending, obv). I have a 1700x and a 1080 that I build ~2.5 years ago. But a 3080 and an eBay used 3700x when the 4k Ryzen gets released might be a really simple and competent upgrade.

I think I just have low confidence in AMD to really compete. But if RDNA2 actually does, that would be so fantastic to have an actual rational CHOICE of competitively benchmarked cards.

Regardless of whether or not I do this or any other upgrade, I like that this GPU cycle is the first thing that is actually pulling at my purse-strings to upgrade since I built this rig. It’s exciting!

My worry is that AMD may choose not to compete at the high end.

They have a limited amount of wafers at TSMC, and they can get a higher yield and much more money by churning out Zen chiplets over huge monolithic GPU dies.

I hope I’m wrong about that.

I wonder what will happen to current AMD GPUs when the the Nvidia 3000 series launches. I am assuming that AMD is only aiming to release high end SKU later this year?

Not sure how much bandwith these new PCIe 4.0 cards are gonna utilize but with my VFIO setup, I am limited to PCIe 3.0 X8. Don’t mind picking up current gen gpu at reduced price as I am really not in the market for upgrading PC.

I’m probably not. I have a 280x, Soooo. My only concern is Nvidia will come out with a gpu 8xfaster for $299.

2 Likes

I just bought a 5700XT 2 weeks ago… So I’m good for a couple years. Also, all the games I play are older now, and new games haven’t really been pushing tech too much. All things considered, It’ll be 2 yrs before game Dev’s start to fully utilize all the new feature of this gen of graphics. So the next gen will have a good base of games to really take advantage of the new features.

For me my primary focus is finding a GPU that would help my work. However all things considered, jumping to 3090 for example may not be wise choice, from my experience software optimization plays much larger role.
I have also been not able to get any recommendation from pro software manufacturers whether this would actually help.

For games, I guess it will be faster but also I wonder how stable the day one drivers will be, for me at least stable game running slightly lower FPS is more fun than unstable one with crazy fast frames.

Ahh I don’t know, probably wait out couple driver releases? But people will always get the thing they want, rather than need I guess.

I’m keen to see what Navi has myself. Big navi looks like it might have HBM:

TLDW: the heat sink mounting pictures have been released and it looks like it has something very similar to vega. There are screws in the way of where GDDR6 memory traces would be, so its looking pretty likely it has on package HBM.

Waiting for FLR status. If it doesn’t have it, then waiting to see if fucking Intel puts one out. The only games I play anymore have long since had their performance requirements met. I’m more interested in passing a GPU around to VM’s without fuss or corporate hostility to what I’m doing.

2 Likes

SR-IOV would be nice, but not holding my breath.

1 Like

I wasn’t sold on Intel gvt but it’s actually nice.

Amd does have some stuff in the kernel driver that would let the gpu be shared similarly but… would we ever see a windows driver?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.