Any reccomendations for an AMD build

Hi. Its ya boy! brown thunder back at it with the forums again, this time I need help with my friends build, his HDD got corrupted and we decided to buy a new case, but the thing his MOBO does not fit in the case, will not line up with holes of the case. I told him its time for an upgrade but only the MOBO CPU, we want to keep using his old DDR3 ram its corsair vengeance. The case is Thermaltake View 31 Tempered Glass Edition Mid Tower Case, anyone got reccomendations for this build, just need it to fit the case and house his old ram.

NOPE…

4 Likes

Thanks!!

Let’s be fair.
Ryzen exists. 180$ gives you quad core with decent B350 board. 8GB 2666 ram is about 80$…
250$ and your buddy is set.
You can take the highest end FX9590 with water cooling and all kinds of stuff with the highest end motherboard and still lag massively behind the cheapest Ryzen quadcore.

6 Likes

Yeah and even if you went Intel the newest thing you could get would be Haswell based 1150 stuff which is old now as it is, and while still decent, isn’t readily available on the new market.

Sell the CPU, RAM and motherboard. Use it to upgrade to Ryzen 2000 in a couple months or grab CL.

Sucks because RAM is expensive as hell right now, but DDR3 is done.

Though I’m very much confused what motherboard he has that doesn’t fit in that case. MATX, ATX and mITX should all fit so unless he has some weird XLATX or EATX board he should be fine.

2 Likes

I second this. If OP could find the motherboard model, we could get to the bottom of this.

Thought: Some of the dell desktop motherboards use a non-standard mounting hole layout. It’s possible this was an OEM system that OP upgraded.

1 Like

Can he return the new case and use the old one? I mean it started with a bad HD

If not is he wedded to AMD and what kinda budget?

the old case, is just too small. It was terrible for cable management, and putting his parts was a bitch.

1 Like

I talked to my friend, he said he’ll do an upgrade to a ryzen build, and that his budget is 250-300$

That is the cheapest decent option:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 1200 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial - Sport LT 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($87.74 @ Newegg)
Total: $252.72
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-08 22:43 EST-0500
You can go for Ryzen5 1400, that is 4 core 8 threads. But that’s about it. 16GB ram is out of the question.
If you wish you can go slightly up to a better motherboard, something like the larger brother B350 Pro 4
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/yBtWGX/asrock-ab350-pro4-atx-am4-motherboard-ab350-pro4

1 Like

Excellent option because of expandability options down the road.

Personally I’d go with a 2X8GB 3000+ now. That will last you for a good while and the performance improvement is noticable.

1 Like

I would too, but that breaks out of the budget.

1 Like

Ehh about $30 over. I’d say it’d be worth it. Especially since you can carry it over for your upgrade.

For 310 I could have added R5 1600… I didn’t. 8GB is still enough for most things, so it will be fine for now.

It’s less the capacity thing and more slow, single channel RAM. 2X4GB would be a better choice

3 Likes

I agree with that as well. But in my original offer the motherboard have only 2 ram slots. This is why I give it only 1 stick of ram. Later on he may add a second one and have 16…
PS: The difference between 2666 and 3000 really isn’t all that large.

1 Like

That’s why I don’t like mATX. It limits you for no real reason especially if you have a big case

Prob would do this

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PGGdhq

It actually can be depending on the application or game especially if only running single channel. It really can hurt minimums and frame times even if that isn’t reflected in averages.

Besides it is about a $10-20 difference

Also speaking more generally I wouldn’t buy the Ryzen 3 1200 anymore. I’d buy the 2200G once it is available in a few days. It’s slightly less and basically a direct replacement and you get an iGPU for troubleshooting if necessary

1 Like

I can agree with that…

Yes and no… AB350M Pro4 is just smaller cheaper version than AB350 Pro4. I am rocking the Pro4 and it’s fine. It just doesn’t support that particular stick of ram…

I never said that board was bad or anything. I just said for only a tiny bit of savings you’re sarcificing ram capacity, pcie slots, ect. Not really worth it imo.

1 Like