Any idea on how to get a key for a Netstor NA331A?

I moved somewhat recently and in the shuffle I lost the key for the bays on this thing:

There was a single key that worked on all of the bays. Opening the lock also cuts power to the bay so they were - and are - locked.

• Who on Earth thinks this lock thing is a good feature? How does this benefit any customer, ever? (It seems all of Netstor’s JBOD shit suffers from the same weird compulsion with keys and locks.)
  • How can I get some help for that person?

But most importantly, how do I get a replacement/substitute key? I’ve tried reaching out to Netstor but no response yet.

I’m talking about something like this:

Is there a universal pick for these things? Or a set of master keys I can get somewhere? This lock/key type is pretty flimsy and doesn’t appear to provide much security against anyone except the honest owner, but none of the the keys I have on hand work.

I can’t tell from that image, but if it helps my Dell PowerEdge servers all have same lock like this.

Most drive bays have some sort of lock. It’s not there for security, just to prevent accidentally ejecting the drive.

Synology:

Chieftec:

If it looks like any of those I can try and measure it for you.

May sound dumb, this may be the time to buy a universal “key”

1 Like

Thanks guys, very helpful.

I guess I’ll give that pick a shot. If for nothing else, they deserve $60 for the awesome product description:

“This model is easy to carry and highly concealable, making it the choice of professionals and hobbyists.”

Lockpicks and picking your own locks is legal, but I guess concealment could come in handy if you were so addicted to the hobby that you absolutely couldn’t be without a lockpick or two while on a trip to Europe. I’m sure that’s what they had in mind anyway.

LockPickingLawyer makes it look a bit easier than it is:

He does. I have 10 thumbs so normally I wouldn’t try to replicate anything he does in his videos, but there’s literally one way to use this particular pick. I can’t possibly screw that up.

1 Like

Have you tried contacting Netstor, giving them the serial number of you case and ask for a new key?

Yeah like I said, no response from them. I’ll try again after a couple of days; there’s certainly time until the pick makes its trip with USPS from wherever.

1 Like

this or the master key … and by master key I mean a 12 guage shotty!

Tubular lock picks are made for the ones used on vending machines.
The tubular locks on a hdd tray are 1/ 3 rd the size.
You should still be able to get some someplace
Even ebay.

My bad, I didn’t catch that part

I couldn’t find any 5/8" picks (I think that’s the size I’m looking for?). But I contacted Netstor again, and they replied almost immediately. I think my first message to them got lost. (You have to use their web interface to message them, not email.) Anyway, they wanted the serial number so they can get me the right key.

I’ll update if/when it gets here.

3 Likes

Good! there somewhere near 540 different pin combinations a 4 pin tubular lock can use.
If you can order 4 of the keys
Because they are small enough to lose easily.

Alright, just to provide closure to the topic:

The pick was a bust as expected, it was for the large format locks.

But NetStor got back to me a few days after I sent them the serial number. They sent the 3-digit key code and a helpful link to a key being sold by some guy on ebay. So I bought that for $5, and USPS got it here… slowly. And the key works perfectly.

Happy ending.

5 Likes