Any experts on Oblivion's leveling? (Leveled Enemies)

I’ve got a Turn Undead spell that i want to use to rank up my Conjuration skill. But i can’t find any more low level undead. I’m Level 19 now. And i CAN’T use a higher level spell because my Conjuration’s now high enough.

WTF, BETHESDA! Before Skyrim, leveling was AIDS and unnecessarily complex.

I went to a respawning undead dungeon, Fanacasecul. And it no longer spawns zombies. All higher level wraiths and Skeletons.

FFS.

IIRC, in Oblivion, as you level, the enemies you face become more difficult. This may be why you cannot find any more of the low level zombies. If you want to level up, is there a spell in the conjuration school that does not require a target? If so, that should work.

Forgive me if I am wrong, it has been a while since I played Oblivion.

1 Like

Use an spawn spell to level your conjuration skill untill you can use an turn spell according to your level

3 Likes

Just buy a cheap summon ally (like summon lesser scamp) or summon weapon\armor (like bound helm). Or just pay for conjuration training, that’ll get you 5 conjuration levels extra per character level, so it’ll become one of your higher ranking stats fast, with only a gold cost.

Another way is to use a stronger spell, than other magic, scrolls, enchanted items or potions to temporarily raise your conjuration skill higher, allowing you to cast something currently unavailable to you.

Turn undead is neat an all, but its hardly a broken mechanic that when your conjuration level is not high retaliative to your other stats you can’t find targets susceptible too it… if your really looking to level the stat hard I’d advise against grinding anyway, I’ve seen too many people jumping constantly to level arcobatics or swimming in circles to level athletics, if your going to waste time to just get better skills within your current level, and don’t want the gold cost to train, just use the console.

All that said though, I agree with you, I like higher level areas and lower level areas, so you can choose to push your luck or do an easy dungion without needing the difficulty slider in the options menu… especially because the higher XP and better loot entices you to try harder areas\quests.

4 Likes

In the normal oblivion leveling up, It is a super pain in the ass if your a min / max gamer to level up. Sure a custom setup with primary and secondary skills matters but if you want to focus on just one skill and its a primary skill you can level yourself out of a solid normal difficulty player.

Example archery. Only every shoot arrows and never get hit at level 20 if something hits you you’re screwed.

The way the world scales to the player is fairly similar to how it does in Skyrim. Some of the more hard-core players will install mods to remove that system altogether, but I wouldn’t call running into a Xivilai at level 1 fun.

The last time I went to use conjuration in Oblivion without having it as one of my class’ skills, I took the Bound Dagger spell and cast it over an over. Just sheath it to dispell, and cast it again right away. Once reaching level 25 (Apprentice) I just started casting Summon Skeleton over and over.

As for the leveling system itself, comparing Oblivion and Skyrim. They’re both fine, each have their advantages and disadvantages. Skyrim’s makes it too easy in the late game, but Oblivion’s can make it a bit too difficult in the beginning if you don’t choose the right class.

I hate summoning. At least on this character. I’m not a magic-based character, at least not in that sense. I just use basic Destruction. So i’ve settled for just paying for training since i’m basically Oprah rich right now. That’s ONE benefit of being a high level in Oblivion. Ebony armor everywhere.

@Marten

Hold on while i work towards all +5s for my next level up…

1 Like

Close but no beer

1 Like