Any chance of easy way to repair a dead SSD

So I got a call from a friend who was attempting to upgrade his computer. His upgrade included moving from a basic 650w 80+ bronze PSU to a new modular unit. He called me asking why his new motherboard was not detecting the 275gb MX300 SSD that he had moved over from his old system. I drove over to his house and he showed me that he had plugged the modular cable for SATA power into an RGB header on his motherboard, now the drive simply won’t show up on any computer. He said I could keep the drive if I could fix it and he would just buy an M.2.
I doubt there is anything I could do but figured it was worth asking, I am decent at soldering, however, I imagine most if not all of the SMD components in an SSD would be too small to easily do by hand.
Thanks!

1 Like

Typically the parts that fail in SSD’s is either the storage itself or the controller. It wouldn’t be cost effective at all to fix it, considering that the proper equipment needed to do an SMD repair would cost as much, if not, more than the SSD itself. While i have no idea how he managed to get a power/sata cable plugged into an RGB header, i to know that RGB headers output a maximun of 12V/2A, which is enough to damage components.

tl:dr dont bother with it, and even if you already have the equipment, it may not work because controllers/memory chips arent always plug n’ play.

4 Likes

I guess +5 volts on the wrong rail is bad mojo :(. It is most likely dead.

You may be lucky, in that a diode or fuse blew on the ssd board. If you are not going the data recovery route, i.e. paying someone to try and recover the data, could be worth checking for shorted diodes.
Take some good photos, look for diodes near the power input, check them for continuity. If they are short circuit, just remove them without destroying the board.
I have seen drives that don’t use the +5v rail, so that might not be an issue.

1 Like

Thread was reopened by a bot.

NOT TODAY MOTHER FUCKER