Any Amazon Fire Phone users out there? Need feedback

Hello all. I'm in the situation where I can finally retire my old 3.5 inch, dual core, 512MB RAM, 4GB storage phone, and I just saw a local store listing the Amazon Fire Phone for less than 120 bucks. Now, that thing has 2 gigs of RAM and 32GB of storage, which would be an insane upgrade from what I have now.
From what I've understood, the Fire Phone is basically dead as a brand, but as a device, I'm guessing it's still usable right? And you do have the option of installing Google Play to access the Google Store, and not be restricted to the FireOS Amazon store.

So, if anyone's using it, what's been your experience with it? Did they jumble adds into it to get it this cheap, like they do with the Kindle? Will it suddenly turn into a Gremlin if you browse after midnight? Are they just trying to get rid off all the inventory and that's why it's so cheap?

But most of all, does it work ok enough to still be a viable upgrade path from a relly low end device?

I myself still think the other phones are just overpriced.

but Amazon's phone its OK. If you don't expect much of your phone.
It still needs to grow to be decent, it just feels like bad right now.

If you want a cheap phone for that price go for it, but i personal would look further.
But if you mostly just use it to send msg or call and you don't game, program or other stuff on it.
I think its OK replacement, but keep in mind the thing is build to promote Amazon products in general.

1 Like

I would like to think that there are better options out there, however $120 bucks is hard to argue against.

My concern with any phone is updated in particular security support. I'm sure know one here would recommend someone running a computer with an unsupported OS. Well a "phone" is a computer and most people would appear happy about running a phone in a way they never would their computer.

The trick is finding a phone at a low enough cost that still receives OS updates.

Apple are pretty good about supporting their phones for a long while but we run into the limitation of $120.

Google are reasonable for their Nexus line but far from perfect. I recently discovered that my Nexus 5X will only be getting a couple of years of support.

Strangely it's Microsoft that may have what you want. Now before I get shot down in flames for suggesting an MS phone but it fits the use case.

MS provide security updates to their older phones. Many of these were real cheap to begin with as they were attempting to compete with Android at the time. So finding one at a low cost "should" be doable.

GUI of the phone is real nice and intuitive to use (desktop might be crap but Metro on a phone works well)
They were solidly built, there was never anything wrong with Nokia build quality.

The Lumia 640 should be obtainable in new condition for around $120, secondhand under $50
So if you are running Windows on your PC why not run it on your phone?

1 Like

The low-end Lumia did seem appealing, but the Microsoft App Store always seemed like a no man's land. I was also thinking of one of the cheap Asus phones, with 1GB of RAM.

There's also the abundance of cheap phones from China, but reviews for them are something like this:
"Amazing phone, had it for two days, works great.
Edit: It won't send SMS anymore, what do I do"

Oh well, as you've pointed out, there's always the option of second hand.

I have brought a good number of phones second hand. Here in the UK eBay is probably the best avenue for getting old phones. I picked up a real nice Nexus 4 a year or so ago and flashed it to Ubuntu. I use that as a backup phone with an old sim in it. I have a few old phones, a Nokia 520 with Windows 10, ZTE Open running FirefoxOS. A couple of old samsungs with different ROM's. Just about the only phone I have not got my hands on is an Apple, they are a bit expensive.

Blu phones are pretty much the best as far as cheap Chinese phones. I tried out the energy 2 and that was amazing for less than 150 with a battery that lasts 3 days.

But you can always get unopened note 4s for around 140 online and out whatever os you want on it.

I have often been tempted by the phones on Banggood.com, I have used the site for other stuff but never pulled the trigger on anything as complex as a phone.

Just saw this, looks interesting.

Now that Amazon Fire Phone dropped to 90 bucks. It's like they're trying to ditch them as fast as possible. OS issues aside, 90 bucks for 2GB/32GB doesn't sound bad.

It's a good deal, hard to argue against. I just wonder how long will Amazon continue to support the phone.

I would really not get into any Amazon hardware! Trust me, they will drive you insane by pushing ads everywhere. Plus that phone is laggy as hell.

Right off the bat, I found a Nextbit Robin available for 164, and that is a steal!

Look into something from BLU, Xiaomi, Le Eco, or Micromax! Much better hardware, they implement Android well, and have great support. While you won't be getting their flagship killers for 120, what you will get will match 300-400 bucks phones from LG, Samsung etc. Here's a few samples within your price range...

This one is a little out of your price preference, but it's one of the best implementations of Android on not-overpriced hardware I have ever used.

Thanks, those are some good suggestions.