Any advice on creating a Windows To Go install?

There must be a blue moon tonight because for the first time in literally ten months, I actually need to use Windows. I’m considering updating my monitor’s firmware because it has some issues with volume control. Apparently having volume on 1 out of 100 and it still being a perfectly normal daytime sound level was a-ok according to the manufacturer. The long story short is that I just don’t want Windows installed on my desktop. Last time I installed it, it screwed with my boot order and installed it’s boot loader to my separate Linux disk without so much as asking (!). Which rendered my Debian install unbootable until I recreated it’s boot loader.

Seriously, Microsoft can chew sand.

So I want to create a Windows To Go install that is as hardware agnostic as possible, for that rare occasion when there is no alternative but to deal with Microsoft’s shit. I’d like to be able to use it on my desktop if it’s not gonna screw with my Linux disk, or failing that, use it on my various other systems.

My use case is pretty much updating firmware when there is no Linux option, using WIndows only hardware control apps i.e. Corsair iCue (I had to do this last year because CoolerControl could change my PSU fan speed to full but couldn’t change it back… that was a fun night). I could also do with running Macrium Reflect at some point, in order to restore an old image, just to see whether it can be deleted.

Rufus is the most commonly recommended method I’ve found but I’d have to use it in a VM, with the target disk passed through. Which isn’t a problem but if there are any Linux based alternatives to Rufus, that can create a To Go install, can someone please recommend them?

Are there any customisations to the install that I should know about?

Are there any limitations to To Go installs that I should know about?

Sounds like you want Hiren’s BootCD

I have not had to use it myself yet though, so I’m not sure how much leeway you have in terms of installing and running applications.

Why not just disconnect the Linux drive, install Windows on a separate drive, reconnect the Linux drive and boot using bios/uefi hot key to boot? Done and done.

First of all, m.2 connectors have a surprisingly low install rating. So I don’t want to do it unnecessarily. My NVMe slots are also between the PCIe slots, which means my GPU would have to come out… and my GPU has a warped PCIe bracket, which makes it a real pain installing and removing (without feeling like I’m gonna break something in the process).

All that aside though… I’m kind of the feeling that I don’t want to tear my system apart just to occasionally, begrudgingly use an OS. There’s also the lingering paranoia that, even if I do install Windows with just the one target disk connected, what’s the stop Microsoft and their slop code deciding that they know better at some point in the future, and screwing up my system?

You can compromise in other ways.

Sata cable stuck out a gap somewhere and old ssd . I would not leave it connected, tho. Using Rufus to build a modded windows install will allow you to use window 11 with having to have windows 11 approved hardware tpm 2.0 .

This makes no mention of skirting hardware requirements but is another bootable drive maker cross platform. The modded Rufus windows 11 installer and sata cable on ssd seems like the easiest way. Do not take my word for it.

Been dual booting from hot key for the past 3+ years. I had Windows installed on a sata ssd, disconnected it and installed Linux on an NVMe. I complete weekly backups of the oses, so even if MS decides and overwrite the Linux drive, I can just restore it within minutes.

You mentioned needing to upgrade firmware which requires a bare metal install, otherwise I would just recommend using a VM.

You could also install Windows on a separate drive on a similar machine and just move the drive over to dual boot off of the one machine.

You could image the NVMe (backup), install Windows on a 2nd drive, & then restore the NVMe with the Linux image. Just some ideas.

When i needed to run firmware updaters and other relatively simple windows only bullshit i have used a usb drive with sergei strelec winpe.

Other than that, afaik Rufus has an option to create a windows to go image from an iso.

A lot of VM’s allow hardware pass through. Not sure what firmware requires it, but that’s an option as well.

Essentially a full windows 10 portable built up form PE. Full stat Menue, WIF, applications, full diagnostic suit. Mini Windows 10

Do you have a spare laptop kicking around? Could just use it instead of messing with your main rig for a one off firmware update.

It’s one of a small handful of reasons why my laptop hasn’t been converted to linux yet.

Just my $0.02 for what it’s worth!