Any advice for someone who wants to start doing 3D Art/Modeling?

Interested in Automotive Design. I still have err… I guess you could say, student credentials? I was wondering if i could get a free or at least discounted version of some software.

There are student versions of Max and Maya. Blender might be good too for procedural speed modeling.

If you have student emails and stuff than you can get anything AutoDesk on 2 year trials

You may be able to get a student license for PTC Creo.

Among the free programs, I like Autodesk Fusion 360 best.

1 Like

ftfy…

Fusion 360 Ultimate is free for hobbyists as well, you do not have to be a student, merely not seeking to make money with the product.

as others have already pointed out if you’re interested in automotive design you might want to look into CAD apps instead of 3d DCC apps .
Note the workflows in those are different - and the mindset when you’re building the model is too. CAD apps deal mostly with nurbs surfaces (and surfaces enclosing an area - solids) which usually means you needs to train yourself to think in terms of silhouettes and cross sections (+cutout shapes - but this bit is actually pretty easy).
I’d recommend giving a Rhino 3D a shot - it is widely used app by industrial designers and architects (from Lego to skyscrapers). Don’t be put off by Rhino looking a tad old schoolish, with tons of icons - actually it is pretty simple and unlike many other apps each tool (command) does a very specific thing and does not rely on component modes, modifiers etc. It makes it easier to learn for people without previous experience with 3d.
It has a great 90 day full trial and if you decide to actually buy it when you’re a student prepare for another treat - a full license at around 300USD (would have to check) that ALLOWS commercial use.

Another nice choice would be Fusion 360. But mind that as it is Autodesk you won’t be able to buy it - you can only rent it. Which may be a bummer in professional use.

If after trying CAD apps out you decide that because of some reason it is not for you don’t give up yet and try DCC apps (Modo / Maya for example) or sculpting (Zbrush). As the approach in those is entirely different it may be something that will suit you. But as for real world industrial use nurbs modeling is still a dominant method of doing things I’d try CAD first.

1 Like

My advice - look what are requirements for your job position. Learn what 3d software are most popular in this field, and then start to learn it. You wouldn’t want to spend your money and time on a software that is not required.

1 Like