Android phone + USB UVC capture device + UVC App == portable 'monitor'?

Greetings,

I was looking for a cheap portable display to use w/raspberry pi, or anything else w/hdmi out. Various complete solutions seem to exist only in the highend camera/video space and, as such, automatically cost some multiple thousand(s) of dollars. I want >= full HD native so I'm ignoring the more anemic fare. Lilliput's true HD and 4k offerings as well as the SmallHD 502. The latter being the tightest solution. Looking at the device it would appear they started with a 1280x1920 phone display and built a case and hdmi -> SDI adapter board around it.

Given that Android w/an app can deal with UVC and the Epiphan AV.IO devices can output UVC does it stand to reason that such a setup would allow for a usable 'monitor'-like experience for a raspberry pi, or similar, w/a phone's display?

App support appears to be hit & miss w/most being consumed w/portable bore/endoscope support. But as this would be my only use-case, I thought I'd ask if anyone's tried it or could try it before I drop $400 for the Epiphan or Inogeni usb 3 capture device. As a slight potential complication, I'd be wanting to try this w/a Pixel XL.

Thank you very much!

If you want to have a display for your Raspberry Pi just set it up to connect automatically to your phone wifi hotspot and use VNC. Much easier and will work surely 100%. Video input devices on Android are a bit problematc. I've seen a couple apps that work sometimes with webcams but reviews are not that great.

Thanks for the response. I considered that but I have never been happy w/VNC. Of that type of solution I found NX to be far and away the most superior effort. However, insofar as I am aware, NX isn't a thing for mobile. Even so, I would really rather have full hardware solution.

As it becomes more and more difficult for vendors to differentiate themselves, building in displayport input support w/native app support would be a sure-fire way to 'turn heads' as it were.

Thanks again!

1 Like