[ANDROID] Block a contact's phone numbers all at once

I haven’t found the option to block an ENTIRE contact and all its phone numbers (I keep all spam numbers in one contact). ChatGPT says it’s not possible to add multiple numbers to the Android blocked numbers list at once. Has anybody figured out a way to do it? I am using the vanilla Google phone app, and no Google services.

If you’re using the Google Contacts app you can open a contact, tap on the three dots in the top right corner and select “block all numbers”. That will do the trick. You can’t do that from the phone app alone. So yeah ChatGPT is almost correct.

The only similar option I find is “Route to voicemail” which is entirely different from the blocklist (ie the numbers are not added to the blocklist). There is no option to block the contact.

Do I understand correctly…

A contact named SPAM has let’s say 50 phone numbers, right?
And you want to add all these numbers to the blacklist with one click right?

On Android 7 it was very easy… App Phone(3.3.4- com.android.dialer)/Contacts you select a contact named “SPAM” and click “Add to blacklist” and that’s how it adds all numbers from a given contact to the blacklist.

If your app doesn’t have anything similar, consider changing to something else…

Yes, you understood correctly.

I would be willing to temporarily change to another app, block the numbers (the blocklist is, I believe, a global Android database) and then uninstall the app. BUT there seems to be no way of doing that. It’s crazy!

Google phone and Google contacts cannot do it. The google contacts app only “routes to voicemail”. Other similar blocklist apps from the playstore seem to maintain their own blocked numbers, the database for which will go away should one uninstall it.

What Android version do you have?

Strange that stock Android wouldn’t have such an option… Is it a Samsung or something unusual?

Its grapheneOS on a pixel, I should have mentioned that.

Android 13

Do you have something like BlockedNumberProvider.apk on your system?

I don’t have GOS/A13 at hand so I won’t be able to guess where what is sitting. Logically, there should be such an option. If not, we are going backwards in development compared to what was in older versions. :wink:

Another option is to use Macrodroid. You set up a macro where the trigger is a phone call for the “SPAM” contact. The reaction can be “Call Reject” and optionally “Clear Call Log”.
It should work somehow… you can expand more macro with other actions.

s2

s3

That way you’ll get what you want, in a sense…

That’s weird. This is what I’m seeing:

The option to block numbers is right below the “route to voicemail” option. Don’t know why it doesn’t show up for you.