AMD Threadripper 3970X under heavy AVX2 load: Defective design? (No, but there is an issue)

FranzB, can you post your serial number so we can compare?

Which serial master? The CPU’s one?

Franz,

When you have the prime95 fail, is it only 1 or 2 workers or several more?

Another thing to note, we’re running similar power supplies, you the hx1000i, me the hx1200i.

1 Like

In the past people have posted the lid serial number. That helps determine the batch I think.

Many workers (>= 8), haven’t let it run long enough to see if they stop dying at some point (I would assume so).

Can I get the lid serial number without removing the heatsink?

I think it is on the Box. Otherwise Like On my system I have to remove the heatsink and thermal paste.

Ok, I’m indeed seeing a part number on the box. Sending it to you in PM.

Thanks

I am also having this issue and discovered this post. I noticed that there was a new firmware released by GIGABYTE (F4B) on 3/4/19. Has this fixed it for anyone? I haven’t tried it yet.

Luckily I bought my parts from Amazon so I am thinking I am going to be doing a lot of returns and going with the new 2nd gen Intel Xeon Cascade Lake processor and board now that Intel has lowered their prices significantly.

I’m a bit skeptical of your authenticity. Can you post more details of your build (possibly pictures too?) and what exactly you use it for?

I saw F5B for for the Aorus Master, I haven’t tried yet. I was hoping to today but life got in the way. Hopefully by the weekend I can try.

Aside from this one specific test, my system is otherwise stable.

LOL… What do you want to see a picture of exactly? My receipt from Amazon? A picture of the motherboard in the case? A screenshot of Prime 95 failing?

I have a 3960X with a GIGABYTE TRX40 DESIGNARE mobo.

I don’t have any real workload yet as I was simply doing a burn-in test with Prime 95 and had the error. I haven’t even had a chance to really use it yet. I did some googling and stumbled upon this discussion, originally found it on “Hacker News / YCombinator” (Can’t link to it from here) but there is ton of discussion if you find the post by googling:

“hacker news prime 95 3960x avx2”

It’s probably something on Gigabyte’s end which should be fixable by bios updates or worst case changing Mobo vendors. I don’t think AMD would’ve released a flawed processer, especially something that shares a lot with Epyc.

If you don’t really have a use case on mind, I don’t see why you’d wanna return it all back asap for an inferior platform.

1 Like

Aours Extreme has now F4c ( 2020/03/04 ). It seems that they decided to no longer make available previous F4 releases for that board.

… and its gone too.
Not sure if they have issues with website or the BIOS.

Is it safe to buy a TRX40 Aorus Xtreme and 3960X now based on the assumption it will be fixed?

I would not make any assumptions that they would (or even could) fix this with a BIOS update. Instead, I would hold off on making any purchases until someone here says that its fixed.

They are under no obligation to fix this problem

I downloaded F5B, but I will test F5C.

There is now a F4d.

But

lol

On the real glad to see there is some progress being made and seems to be an issue with the mobo.