AMD shenanigans

Terve!
So, I just thought I could connect a second monitor to my PC (I just use it for light uses, such as word documents and web browsing). However, someone in the PC decided that they’re not going to have that. Now everything is stuck at 480p on one screen. Does anyone know a solution to that?
also:
-during the BIOS stage of booting the PC outputs to the Display port (that has a DVI Adaptor on it to go to the monitor)
-once Windows takes over it switches to HDMI
-> therefore I conclude that the cables, adapters and monitors are working
Hardware:
-CPU AMD Ryzen 3 2200G (integrated GPU)
-MB: MSI B450M Mortar
-Monitor: Asus vs247h (on HDMI, currently on DVI as well)
Eizo FlexScan S2202W

attempts:
-uninstalled AMD Adrenalin Software
-installed optional drivers
-switched to PEG mode in BIOS
-Reset BIOS as PEG bricked everything
-unpluging the second monitor
-unpluging the first monitor
no change has been achieved by any steps.
Thank you for any help in advance.
Sayonara Shadow
Thank you for any help in

My guess is the display port to dvi adapter or the cable itself is the issue rather than a software issue given that you reset everything

1. Do you have the same issue when you plug the monitor in individually?
  2. Do you have a dvi port + cable or another port on the monitor to see if it’s the adapter?
2 Likes

I really wish I could assume the same. Thing is: right now I have only the ASUS Monitor connected to the PC via HDMI and I’m still stuck in 480p.
That configuration used to work before I reinstalled the drivers.
Therefore I really don’t think it’s on the cables.
I’ll plug in the other monitor once I get to it.
Thank you for the suggestion though.

Edit 1: seems like the driver re-install did indeed fry the cables and one of the monitors. That’s something to add to the list of “things I’ve never seen before”.
I’ll order a DP Cable and see how that goes.
Sayonara!

2 Likes

That does not make any sense.
As in: The hardware supplying power or signal in the card can not physically achieve that without committing suicide.

3 Likes

That is true, it might be the monitor anyways though. I’ll see once the new parts arrive. If the old thing keeps working with the new cable, I can’t really conclude anything but defective cables.
Also, I know that they worked before, since I had a perfectly fine output on both screens at times, just not together.

Coincidence rarely coincides with sense. Which is probably why machines are starting to become better at health diagnostics than doctors :wink:

1 Like

If the cable is old it might have its untimely demise while you were uninstalling display drivers. Alternatively, if the cable was really cheaply made, that could have caused issues as well.

I have a feeling that the dvi adapter caused the issur

In many of my issues with monitors, it has usually been the displayport cable.

1 Like

open your case make sure the card is firmly connected in the pci-e slot and the power cable is securely attached.

connect your monitor to any of the graphics card outputs that you have a cable for. doesnt matter which. hdmi/dvi plug the other end into the the screen.

turn the screen on wait till you see no signal and turn the computer on…
enter the eufi and go to your display output option which should have an option for peg 1 (pci-e slot 1) peg 2 for slot 2 and so on… select the slot you have the card in…
save the profile with a name…
now save and quit…

the pc should now boot with the gpu powering the screen and should run it at the default refresh and screen rez… if your running on peg 1* and the gpu is in slot 1, and the machine freezes then theirs a problem with the gpu. *im not 100% but you may get away with it not being selected at the cost of a slower boot time as the system will have to look for it. but anyway…

1s your in windows open the display options and see if you have larger screen rez available if needed, select it.
now go to amd’s gfx driver site and download the latest version of the gfx driver and install it.

ps cables dont fry because of bad drivers. they fry because of bad power or missuse.(bending at the plugs, connecting disconnecting)…
hope that helps…

1 Like
  1. Monitors once in a while freak out and output screwed-up EDID information, forcing the system to use a lower resolution. You must unplug the monitors for a few seconds to get back to a sane state.

2. Boot-up with a recent Linux LiveDVD. That will unequivocally tell you if it’s a hardware or software issue.

2 Likes