AMD Ryzen 9 5950X Fan Speed Bursts

I have one of these with the largest Noctua heat sink (DH-15 IIRC) and as far as I can tell temps are fine (at least idle), but sometimes I notice the CPU fans will spin up momentarily for a second or two during what I presume are short CPU heavy operations which are probably multi-threaded using all 16 cores (ex. video editing or photo resizing).

Anyone else have one of these or a similar CPU observing something similar? Is this just a consequence of stuffing so many cores on there?

I haven’t remembered to check temps when it’s doing this momentary spike thing yet… of course, noticing this might be more due to the fact that I haven’t bothered to put the sides on the case yet. Eh whatever, I’ll get to it some day. :rofl:

That‘s normal on any modern CPU, they‘ll boost and spike temperatures. Adjusting the fan curve should help. There’s usually also settings to control how soon you want the fan to spin up/down on variations (hysteresis/whatever it is called). Should not influence performance much on a D15 as the heatsink is large and can soak up some heat until the fans start spinning.

4 Likes

my solution is just to lock every fan to full speed. although, i am very rarely ever in the same room as my computer.

Some fan spin up delay helps as @quilt suggests. Also reining in power consumption in general helps a lot. As I’ve discussed elsewhere I’ve got my 5950X running at ~75W and it’s much less bursty with very little performance impact.

try adjusting your fan curve.
i found my 5900x did similar, so i adjusted the curve and the fan stoped randomly ramping up.

As others have said, adjust the fan curve in BIOS. You can also play around with PBO or undervolting to reduce the drawn power/heat load.

Yeah messing with fan curve settings is the next logical step to try. I was just curious if this is a known “thing” with this particular CPU - I certainly don’t notice it happening on my other (Intel) PCs.

Of course I could also stop being lazy and put the dang case together properly. lol

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.