AMD Reverses Course. Zen 3 is coming to AMD X470 and B450 chipsets

So AMD released an official statement on reddit stating that they are going to be releasing Zen 3 beta bios support for both the X470 and B450 chipset but clearly states that this is also the last upgrade path on this chipset.

Once Ryzen 5000 series is released you will have to get a new motherboard in order to upgrade.

I’m actually very impressed that AMD decided to rollback on a major decision from all the backlash they have received in the last week or so. I can’t recall the last time that Intel or NVIDIA has done something like this.

3 Likes

“POST CAN’T BE EMPTY” … :roll_eyes:

woot

Interested to see if they maintain that level of backwards compatibility going forward and we see Zen 3+ and 4 on x570.

Zen2 did not get a plus variant so I wouldn’t count on Zen3 getting one and Zen4 is gonna be on a new socket with DDR5.
So, probably not. Even AM4 is ending at some point.

1 Like

Makes me pretty happy that I could get a BIOS for my asrock Rack x470 motherboard… although it might take them (asrockrack) 2-3 years to release it on their site…

(they still havent made the agesa 1.0.0.4B available yet)

1 Like

Zen 4 will be DDR5, PCIE 5, Ryzen 5000, 5nm, sold on the 5th month of the 5th day.

Oh and AM5!

3 Likes

They’ll probably rename it to Zen5. I mean, … nothing else makes sense, right?

2 Likes

I am excited, my plan is not to put a zen3 on x470 or b450, but put my 3950x on my x470 and zen 3 on my x570 giving my 3900x a break of running and allowing it to be a spare cpu. Right now it has been running 24/7 since september and folding at home/handbrake the entire time.

I kinda doubt that back lash of general user base is really the cull prit.
Hardware manufacturers generally don’t care about that, as long as there is money to be made.
I kinda suppose since backwards compatibility with x570 was already announced,
that there are some kind of production problems at the mobo manufacturers be halve.
Likely due to Covid 19.

I mean yeah backwards compatibility with 400 series boards,
would generally not make any sense, cause no pci-4 support.

There’s no avoiding axing older CPU support on the BIOSes that will be released, and it’s a one way trip. They explicitly state it’s a one way trip and that it will be impossible to flash backwards to regain original Zen support and potentially Zen+ support.

Mister Bryan of Tech YES City is going to have a headache in a few years, being a proponent of used part price to performance. He has to trust the seller never went the one way path.

1 Like

You can’t support endless numbers of CPUs on the same mobo. At some point, the memory in BIOS as at an end.
Then either features or CPU supprt get kicked.

1 Like

My question was if x570 would have the same degree of backwards compatibility as x470 (3 iterations). @noenken already provided the answer.

1 Like

likey because the bios profiles are ex-tractable and if your cleaver enough you could import the profiles for the new chips into old bios’s as long as you remove some of the older configs which you dont need you should have room.
basically there was no physical reason for not supporting on x470 other than room on the bios chip… 1s you remove that hurdle by freeing up some space. yeah theres no reason not to support newer chips on the older boards.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.