AMD Radeon Software's "Record & Stream" tab not showing up? Try this!

This is a quick’n’dirty thread to get the knowledge out there, not a full guide. A link to the guide I used can be found in the post.

I am a Looking Glass user with a full AMD system, regularly running a Windows virtual machine with GPU passthrough I had set up a while ago using libvirt/virt-manager. AMD Software worked just fine for me for me aside from it hiding the recording tab, with seemingly no option to enable it. This also impacted my ability to use AMD Link, since it depends on recording to be enabled in order to stream video over the network. It works with bare metal, but I refuse to run Windows outside the little box I put it in.

AMD Support didn’t have any answers for me as to why this was happening, but I later ended up encountering the solution by accident when working to enable virtual machine usage with EAC games, from a guide I stumbled upon in the VRChat Documentation: “Using VRChat in a Virtual Machine.”

Suggested modifications to your libvirt domain XML include:

• Under the <features><hyperv> element, add a <vendor_id> element with value 0123756792CD.
  • OR set your <features><hyperv> element itself to mode=passthrough (I did both. Using mode=passthrough also has the added effect of enabling all available Hyper-V enlightenments.)
  • Add new entry elements under <sysinfo><bios> & <sysinfo><system> with information about your motherboard obtained from the dmidecode command (but set UUID to be the same as what’s in the uuid element in your domain XML, usually towards the top)
  • Add <smbios mode="sysinfo"/> element under the <os> element

I had originally done this a while ago, but after having performed every step on that list, I immediately checked AMD Software out of curiosity to see “Record & Stream” available and ready to use. To this day, I still have this option available to me. I’m a bit lazy, and can’t be bothered to actually test which of these domain XML fixes actually resolves the issue, but this is what worked for me. If I had to bet, it is most likely that the sysinfo entries were what removed the limitation, followed by the hyperv passthrough mode.

tl;dr:
Following the same steps for getting EAC games working in a virtual machine also fixed AMD Radeon Record & Stream, not sure why, but it works.

If you’ve tried this, or you have knowledge regarding this issue, please leave a comment! AMD has expressed to me via support email that they would like to know the cause for this issue, so pooling knowledge together might end up being useful to that end.

Edit: removed a block of largely-irrelevant text about hiding the KVM interface, since I don’t actually have that implemented and Record & Stream works without it regardless.

I’m trying to resolve the same issue in a fedora KVM hosted windows guest. First off thank you for the FYI post you made and I can follow through the description of the changes required fairly well. I am confused by the entries that must be created with the bios details and the system details. I have no sysinfo elements in my domain.xml to add the lines for bios= and sytem=. would you mind posting an example or an image of those edits that you made in your domain.xml file. I’m seeing lots of lines of text in the output of dmidecode. I’m not sure what is useful. Thanks for any illustration you can manage

Appologies I just saw the link you provided to the example you followed. That suffices to accomplish my edits. Thanks again for the original post it helps me using amd link from my laptop.