AMD Radeon RX 6000 series

The big solution proton provides is that seamless support layer that so many older Linux games are simply missing

1 Like

Yes, Valve is really doing a lot of work on that and I commend them for it. At the same time I also want stuff without DRM, so I’m torn on every purchase, but that’s a whole different can of worms.

1 Like

I’ve stopped giving a damn, there’s always arrrg for abandonware.

It’s also worth noting that proton seems to be the best experience for a lot of legacy games. Talking xp and earlier.

Even better than actually dragging out an xp box.

3 Likes

I do play cyberpunk 2077 on my linux PC with my OLD gpu just fine. i do run it on a somewhat lower resolution but i still get 50-70 FPS. and no weird artifacts at all.

that is true if they say 800 Watt for a bronze or not even bronze and a 750 titanium should do fine as that is like 94% ? instead of ± 80% that is a big difference

If linux get a higher % due to proton some might even look and try to support proton/wine better. That might also be easyer/cost less than a full linux port/game.

1 Like

Oh, it’s so much easier.

But this is getting a bit off topic, I think.

That’s true, especially if you still have phyiscal stuff with SecuROM and friends…

It’s not just about the efficiency, it’s about the build quality. There are well-built Bronze PSUs that will smash any cheap shit PSU anytime.

Yes, pretty much my point. Although I don’t see companies marketing towards Proton usage just yet. At maximum they would probably “certify” for one specific version, maybe retest on a newer version every now and then (considering Proton doesn’t have “real” releases all that often to begin with, that wouldn’t be a huge deal anyway).

All games really have to do is just adhere to standard APIs because that’s what’s implemented in WINE.
Witcher 3 for example didn’t throw a single warning in the ~100h I let the log run on the side.

1 Like

1 thing i am happy about that AMD does. Its working great on linux out of the box on the latest Ubuntu etc.

So like Wendell also said the 6800 is very nice on linux

Another thing AMD does pretty well is fairly strictly adhering to the APIs and not doing any custom mumbojumbo. Helps a lot with game support, especially under WINE too (adding to the last point in my previous post).

3 Likes

nam-flashbacks

3 Likes

I’m interested in the 6800 card… For a passthrough only. Should I even target that card or should I choose RX 5700 XT since it seems easier to pass to a VM, or am I wrong?

The 6800 does not have the reset bug, but the 5700 does have the reset bug. The 6800 is by far the better card for passthrough because of that.

3 Likes

Thanks for the quick answer! A RX 6800 XT it is then. ^^

1 Like

My Old ass PC will play Cyberpunk fine. Im not buying it for awhile cause it is coded like the data cards were soaked in water. I blame Nvidia medaling got that. By the time it works on consoles the AMD testing is done and it’s a real game not a RTX showcase.

For passthrough as above … Wendell confirmed the 6xxx series resets. That takes away a lot of the pain when rebooting .

1 Like

Hopefully we will finally have a reasonably priced RX 6000 series GPU: Where Gaming Begins: Ep. 3 | AMD Radeon™ RX 6700 XT - YouTube
Maybe the RX 5700(XT) will come down in price as well, for an even more reasonable upgrade to folks running older HW. If I didn’t already own a 5700XT, I would definitely be looking for one of those. The GPU prices now are absolutely insane tho, so we’ll have to see.

I’m gonna go out on a hella of a limb here and say… no, they will not be reasonably priced even remotely. There is going to be a speed run on who can get $1000 for one first, and then the leaderboards for the highest price will be scary.

I gotta say either props for their honesty, or what the hell were they thinking but those frame drops in the clips at the start do not inspire confidence. Like the Dirt 5 clip and the visibly low frame rate in the one after, on AMD titles! Yikes.

OH SHIT THOUGH! Smart Access Memory on Ryzen 3000 CPUs too now, That’s Me!!! Now if only I could you know… get a new GPU for anything resembling a reasonable price, hell I would settle for just being in stock. Just knowing I could get one if I wanted would be nice.

HAHA, wow that garble as he decided mid word between Aluminum and Aluminium.

The XFX and The Yeston are the only ones I like, the rest all looks like transformers with more polys than it can probably render. At least the XFX is clean and the Yeston is actually interesting. But hey, as long as the cooler is good at its job, any of them will do.

$479, supposed to be 3070 ($500) level with SAM enabled. Not that those numbers mean anything.

Does the 6700xt have the same PCB layout as the 6800xt?

I’m hoping to buy one as my host GPU and waterblock it.

The Die is different, not sure if that would effect the waterblock compatibility, it also looks like a smaller card, shorter Correction: less deep, same length.

1 Like

Well, I’m hopeful to get something with the same board size/layout of the 6900xt so I can use an EK terminal block, for compact-ness of installation.

Considering I’m running an ITX sandwich system. (speaking of which, I’m hungry)

2 Likes