AMD Radeon RX 6000 series

They have clearly been playing way too much Doom in marketing!

Wouldn’t be surprised if smart memory is windows only, at least for now.

2 Likes

Yeah! Literal Pairs of leenUx gAmErZ

2 Likes

I think It’ll stay windows only. Not the end of the world. It’ll be Zen3 only too.

HBM2 would have been fun, but not really needed. And an extra $50 would not have been so nice

2 Likes

I play games on Linux too!

Now there are THREE OF US.

On topic: Will probably get one of these AMD 6000 cards for my Linux Gaming. But not until March. I think the kernels and drivers will be good enough to use by then.

Then maybe I will try putting this Vega into my server box with my other Vega and run Folding@Home on them. Or crypto-mining. Or I’m kidding myself and they will sit there and idle.

4 Likes

I feel like since its a 2nd gen card… the drivers wont be as bad as they were for initial launch

RDNA2 not RDNA1 so tech new design no?

Any idea how many DP connectors this will have? Ideally my next card would have four.

same family… is it not?

not sure to be honest there is some major new stuff in the design but probably a lot similar (infinity cache has to be weird)

The number and type of connectors is up to the card manufacturer. IF I recall correctly, AMD GPUs can drive up to 8 if you can make them fit. Maybe if they were all mini-DisplayPort. EyeFinity cards only did 6, I think, but in theory 8.

But I don’t think anyone will do it. You can only comfortably fit 4 full size HDMI or DP outputs and everyone will want at least one HDMI.

but it was toggled from bios. will see when it comes out.

I think the toggle is more for when there are problems with security or windows performing seppuku on boot.

It’s also what the majority of gamers actually need.

I remember a time, not so long ago, when high-end GPU’s were like $500. Now I’m supposed to believe that a $579 GPU is entry-level? I’d rather switch to a console.

5 Likes

My two cents

I think ray tracing specific benchmarks were left out because they’re probably on the weak side… probably in line with first gen rtx if I had to guess. other than that interested to learn more about this x470 + rx 6000 bios feature they vaguely mentioned.

Other than that, I’m not exactly impressed but I am satisfied and I think AMD is actually for once gonna win some market share. I’m considering one for my personal rig.

2 Likes

I have the same feeling. Used to be part of camp flagship (7970, 980ti, 1080ti) but I really don’t believe in spending more than $700 for a graphics card and that’s taking into account I usually get 400+ out of selling what i’m upgrading from… the expenditure has gotten out of hand in order to still deliver generational improvements.

1 Like

I remember when you could get best gpu’s at 300-400 range, and it was insane to even think that some bling bling black ops dual chip cards could cost “FIVE HUNDRED!!!” omg.
These days five hundred barely abbles you to get mid tier gpu. funny isn’t it?

1 Like

I mean gas use to be Like $1 a gallon too, but that also doubled roughly

1 Like

Wow radeon, after I finally gave up on you here you are begging for me back. sigh. Alright, fine come on in.

7 Likes

They always come back

1 Like