AMD R9 280X Linux gaming support

Just to clarify, the 280X is the only gpu device on your system correct? Do you happen to have integrated graphics that may be taking over instead of the dedicated gpu?

Additionally, under Ubuntu make sure that you’ve installed the open source drivers under ‘additional drivers’

Hi Geep,

Thanks for the reply.

The motherboard is a Gigabyte EX58-UD5 so no integrated graphics,i went to the settings for additional drivers and it says ‘No additional drivers found’.

I will check the BIOS for any settings that could cause an issue.

@anon27052951 was probably talking about the integrated graphics of your CPU. I suggest searching a option in bios for disabling the graphics of your cpu entirely.

Hi, I will check but I don’t think the Core i7 920 has an integrated GPU.

Checked the BIOS and the display output is the PCIe x16 option.

This is my lspci -v output:

02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Tahiti XT [Radeon HD 7970/8970 OEM / R9 280X] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: Hightech Information System Ltd. HD 7970 IceQ X²
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 29
Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
Memory at fbb80000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256K]
I/O ports at be00 [size=256]
[virtual] Expansion ROM at 000c0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
Capabilities:
Kernel driver in use: radeon
Kernel modules: radeon, amdgpu

02:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Tahiti HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 7870 XT / 7950/7970]
Subsystem: Hightech Information System Ltd. Tahiti HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 7870 XT / 7950/7970]
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 28
Memory at fbbfc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities:
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel

ah, the i7 920 has no iGPU
I would try testing the amdgpu driver
Also check if the card boost both on memory and core clock to max speed.

Other than that I have no glue what could be wrong

I presume trying a different kernel as the drivers are built in.

How would I check the clock speeds of the card?

Thanks.

try updating your mesa drivers.
That did the trick for me, albeit it was for a vega64.
And it runs really well.
You can try out this guide.
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2018/05/install-mesa-18-0-4-ubuntu-18-04-lts/

If that doesn’t work id try and get the amdgpu drivers.

1 Like

Thanks I will give a shot :slight_smile:

I have done a bit of digging and the last time it worked was when Ubuntu 16.04 was around and AMD did drivers for it version 15.12 if I remember.

I believe the R9 280X I have which is a GCN 1.0 card does not have driver support from AMD and the driver built drivers into the kernel are a joke.

Getting 10 FPS is CS: GO

So I am thinking just to replace the card with something supported and can see deals on the Nvidia GTX 1060 3gb (G209.99) & AMD RX 580 8GB (£179.99).

What would you suggest for gaming in Linux as I want to get rid of the Windows install.

Thanks in advance.

At that price definitely the AMD as the drivers are so much more reliable and its usually faster too. I have the card so can talk about it first hand!

Cool, I presume it will work out of the box with the latest 4.20 ketnel.

If so what is the performance like?

I can order it tonight and have by tomorrow :slight_smile:

Well 4.20 kernel and up you now have full power unlocked for overclocking - but RX580 is a bit of a lotto ticket when it comes to overclocking room - some are very good and others you don’t get much.

Performance wise you’re looking at 1080p high/ultra in most titles. But before making the jump have you tried looking at the clocks of your current card while running a game/bench?

watch -n 0.5 cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/amdgpu_pm_info

Running this should give you your real-time clock speeds and should help you with diagnostics.
Your card should boost to about 1000-1050mhz core and 1500mhz memory.

OK some from what I read AMDGPU isn’t enabled by default on your card as it is still listed as experimental although according to this article:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=gcn10-tww2-radv&num=1

It looks stable enough to try. You have to add “radeon.si_support=0 radeon.cik_support=0” kernel module parameter at boot to enable AMDGPU driver on your card. This should help with the performance of your graphics and it seems that AMD is actively working to get support with your card.

If you want to upgrade your card then no problems just do it - but if you are happy with the performance of your current card then you might want to try this first.

#edit: I see someone on the forum has been through this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“radeon.si_support=0 amdgpu.si_support=1 radeon.cik_support=0 amdgpu.cik_support=1 rd.driver.blacklist=radeon quiet”

I added the above to grub

did ‘sudo update-grub’ and got the following error:

simon@UD5:~$ sudo update-grub
/usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig: 12: /etc/default/grub: amdgpu.si_support=1: not found

I will keep trying.

Right I think is now working

02:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Tahiti XT [Radeon HD 7970/8970 OEM / R9 280X] [1002:6798]
Subsystem: Hightech Information System Ltd. HD 7970 IceQ X² [1787:201c]
Kernel driver in use: amdgpu
Kernel modules: radeon, amdgpu

Before the Kernel driver in use was radeon

This was the correction made in the grub.cfg

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=“radeon.si_support=0 radeon.cik_support=0 amdgpu.si_support=1 amdgpu.cik_support=1 radeon.modeset=0”

sudo update-grub, reboot and bob’s your uncle, kernel driver in use is amdgpu

I will download CS:GO and test.

Edit: Under ubuntu details it has also changed.

Screenshot%20from%202019-01-03%2022-05-42

1 Like

Glad you got it working! Hope performance is as expected.

Thanks for the help, greatly appreciate it.

Performance wise it is ok 70-89 FPS slight lag or stutter.

I think I will buy the RX 580 anyway as it is a very good price and the drivers will be a lot better.

I will check the clock speeds etc tonight but I am pretty the card is working just fine.

From what the reviews are saying the RX 580 is 50+% better over my card.

1 Like

Found this one which is a good price at the moment

Bought this one.

Very good deal.

Might need your help if needed.

Thank you for your support on my thread

No problem, enjoy it! Ask away if necessary.

1 Like