AMD pro-drivers

So gpu acceleration for remote desktop a new thing?

Just saw this AMD video talking about GPU Accelerated Encode for remote desktop and other remote products i.e. Citrix

https://www.amd.com/system/files/documents/remote-workstation-user-guide.pdf

I wish I would have seen this post 9 days ago.
I just found out about this today and am about to test it out with a wx4100.
I have been desperately looking for a VDI solution beyond my current hypervisor gpu pass through because of stability issues.

Let us know how it goes :slight_smile:

thanks a lot, works with passthroughed GTX 1070 in windows server 2022 VM on proxmox
now transition to show the transparent boxes from fancy zones are nearly instant on rdp!
had messed around with RDP related GPO in the past but made things worse. only setting things like the pdf suggests works perfectly:

1. On the host computer, open up the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc).
  2. Navigate to Computer Configuration → Administrative Templates → Windows Components → Remote
    Desktop Services → Remote Desktop Session Host → Remote Session Environment.
  3. Enable “Prioritize H.264/AVC 444 Graphics mode for Remote Desktop connections”
  4. Enable “Configure H.264/AVC hardware encoding for Remote Desktop connections”
1 Like

Well I’m not disappointed. Although I ended up having to revert back to using an i5-2500k computer with the wx4100 because I ran into the same exact stability problems on the server hardware I wanted to use. On the bright side of things I now know the source of my instability issues with my current passthrough setup (it is the pcie switches being used).

This has me comfortable enough that the software works to maybe get a W6600 for use on an actual production VDI system.
It might be pretty useful for an alderlake or raptorlake systems due to hypervisor issues on heterogenous architectures. The last time I used native, non-virtual machine, VDI was with teradici which was awful.

Was it able to play videogames or videos? Wondering how much of an improvement it’s making.

4k videos were alittle choppy but 1440p would work, and that is on 12 year old sandy bridge hardware, something modern would likely be better.
Interestingly enough, when I enable the two h.264 encoding option in group policy I got worse video playback performance, I could clearly see that my gpu was being pegged in Windows instead of the cpu after the the group policy update. This might have something to do with the wx4100 being a pretty anemic 7 year old card .

There’s too much response lag to play FPS with the hard I tested (tried xonotic), but other less fast paced stuff could be playable maybe.

One more interesting thing is that if you have IPMI video out, it appears to prevent the driver dashboard from launching, even when trying to launch the dashboard via the remote connection.

Only tried YT (youtube) video, worked fine with RDP client set to 4k and video to 1080p about 13% encode load and some decode load according task manager.
With YT 4k no GPU decode and more CPU load, so 1070 seems not be able to decode (using firefox, not tried other browsers. this behaviour seems also not related to RDP as it’s decode, not encode)

Additional: without this GPO the CPU was used to decode and I had audio glitching on video playback. Host CPU is 5800X with 12 cores assigned to the VM.

Oh, to be clear for all readers, on point 1. “host computer” does not mean the Proxmox host of course, it means the Windows VM (and Poxmox has no GPO)

1 Like

Many thanks to both of you for taking the time to review it.
I hope this helps others in the future!

1 Like