AMD PBO breaks shutdown in POPOS 22.04

hello guys!
this is not currently an issue for me as i managed to find a solution, but find it interesting enough to post.
I have a system with 5800x and ASUS x470 (c7h) mobo.
I have 2 operating systems on 2 separate disks.
One is running Win10 (nvme) and the other is running POP OS 22.04 (also nvme).
In UEFI, i have optimized my CPU using PBO and curve optimizer.
The setup runs fine in windows and passes stress tests with no issues.
It is also running fine in linux with the only issue being the system hangs on shutdown or reboot.
After long debugging sessions without luck (including changing the kernel to xanmod as others seemed to have resolved a similar issue by doing this) i decided to revert my UEFI settings to stock and that solved the issue right away.
After playing with UEFI settings for a bit, I noticed that if I manually set the freq and voltage there is no issue. If I rely on PBO (even with curve optimizer disabled) then the issue appears again.
Has anyone seen this before or knows what exactly causes it?
I now run 2 UEFI profiles for each OS! not ideal but I can live with it.
Thank you!

So my question is what is it hanging on. I’d start with a serial console or net console if possible, then onto systemd shutdown debugging.

https://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/Debugging/#diagnosingshutdownproblems

After that I’d research what linux kernel shutdown debug options you can enable.

the OS seems to shut down but the machine does not. The mobo displays an error code 8 and stays there until i shut it down from the PSU switch.
in the mobo manual the code 8 reads:
‘’
System Agent initialization after microcode loading
‘’
thank you for the link, I will check it out

Can you post a screenshot?

a screenshot of the debug you mean?

Of the error you see when shutting down.

sure here it is from the mobo manual. error code 8

Yeah sounds like a generic overclocking failure message. Q-code 8 mystery

If you have something on hand, I’d try different RAM or CPU. Try to reduce it to one piece of hardware.

Also how long since you last did a BIOS update?

I do not have other hardware in hand atm.
the bios is pretty recent, end of July 2022.
thank you for your time and advice

try backing off CO by 2 you are what we call game stable, but not exactly complete stable
alternatively if you have your boost override at 200 you could knock that back a bit instead

It happens even with CO off.
Also the boost override is disabled.
thanks for the tips regardless

So there is a bug with CO, if you just set PBO to auto, it will keep the previous CO, you need to go into advanced>CO>didabled

that is how i do it but still it behaves the same