AMD offers Threadripper 1950X as an exchange for i7-8086k owners

That’s one way to crap on intels party

10 Likes

rubs salt in the wound

6 Likes

Well intel could have an exchange your 1950X for a 28 core@5GHz monster. Wait…that was lies.

4 Likes

All the Wendy’s tweets and anime girls in the world could not compare with the amount of smug that AMD is feeling at the moment.

2 Likes

Heck they throw in a industrial chiller as a bonus to sweeten the deal

2 Likes

Are they going to throw in an industrial chiller and some illegal-to-import coolant while they’re at it? The more important thing is to make sure they hit 100% atmospheric saturation of ozone destroying chemicals rather than market saturation.

1 Like

Something is getting saturated and Intel don’t give a flyin fuck what it is.

1 Like

And the mystery deepens.

1 Like

I love this but it is a very limited offer. Only available up to 40 units, though anyone who won one of the 8,086 8086Ks can enter for the trade up promotion.

I like the line about no backsies. Yo do not have to accept the trade if offered but once you do you cannot get the 8086K back.

Intel responded with an lol essentially. Lol.

I find it amusing that people believe Intel is somehow dethroned. From everything I’ve seen, they still dominate the desktop and server world. I am happy that I can get a decent processor for less than $200, though. $100 more and I have an even better one with better single core performance.

Great time to be in the market for a DIY PC.

It takes OEMs some time to get machines market ready. But the fact there are all-AMD notebooks now is quite the big advance in itself.

1 Like

I agree, time will tell.

I, too, am excited about this. My wife has an HP with AMD GPU and CPU, and had it for a couple of years now. It had initial problems, but I think that was her work software not being fully compatible with certain Windows 10 components. Upgraded to an SSD and changed a few things and it’s a beast.

Intel is being knocked back on their heels, dethroning is still a few years off but they are exhibiting all the signs of a company in disarray from new stiff competition.

2 Likes

im glad, the’ve been holding back software progression for a while. creating software on low cores w/ low ghz is a pain. much better esp when .net/c# devs dont have to wait for a slow ass system… esp running vm’s w/o having to spend $$$$

2 Likes

Yeah man, we used Chef and CloudFormation for click and forget deploys :grin:

I will say developing on 8 core 16 thread workstations with 32GB of RAM changed my life lol. They were Intel builds though, but if I hit it big and get on that consulting time threadripper for everyone and claim that tax write off

1 Like

I’m not sure why you think the 8700k is better than any AMD offerings…
The only thing it has going for it is overclocking to 5ghz which requires an expensive board and a good cooler.
So for around $200 more you can have a bit more single thread performance… and worse multi-threaded performance.
I mean if you look at Intel’s performance prior to coffeelake… well $150 AMD Ryzen’s beat their entire lineup… Basically chips like the i5-6600k and i5-6500 and i3-6100/6300 have been literally been eradicated by Ryzen 3 at $100.

I mean when Intel literally has only a single chip to offer in the market, and that is their top SKU i7 desktop chip… well I would say they have been knocked from the pedestal.
AMD went from competing against i3’s with their APU’s to obsoleting its competitions entire lineup save a single SKU.

2 Likes

Personal experience and benchmarks, mostly.

However, my experience with 2600 is far and above my experience with 1800X.

Which benchmarks? I mean you really need to have an OC’d 8700k to compete with ryzen 2000 series and the price difference still isn’t close unless you are using something like an 1800x in a x370 board. But at the time the 1800x came out the best Intel had to offer was the 7700k which is just a revised 6700k…
I can tell you that first gen ryzen does have some latency issues in certain tasks which do come out but overall my 1700x is pretty much glassy smooth no matter what I throw at it and Intel no longer has any real fps advantage in 95%+ of titles. Making for a lack of compelling reasons to purchase an i7 8700k.

I don’t think that’s accurate. I don’t overclock either of my processors, and I can tell you that the 8700k beats out the 2600. They both have M.2 drives and nVidia 1000 series GPUs, with 16GB of 3200 RAM. Maven projects complete faster on the 8700k, gaming performance is better, Adobe Premiere renders faster by a couple of minutes on the 8700k (I’m aware the GPU plays a part in this). The only thing I don’t notice a difference on is building with Visual Studio Enterprise 2017, which seems to vary in time on the same projects on the same computer.

On Windows they both run great, on Linux the 2600 is spotty but worlds better than the 1800X was.

I don’t know if UserBenchmark includes overclocking as a separate metric or not, but they have the 8700k beating out all of the 2000 series in multiple areas.

I don’t consider something that is less expensive being objectively better.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-8700K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-2600/3937vs3955

2700X

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-8700K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-2700X/3937vs3958

I’m not saying AMD sucks, you shouldn’t buy AMD, etc. Just saying my experience, and a lot of metrics on the internet, argue for buying 8700k over “any AMD offerings”. If price is your only consideration, then yeah, 2600 hands down will be an amazing processor that will probably grow with you over the next five years.

This really does depend on clockspeeds overall.
It does say “average” bench, and they have 50x as many benchmarks of the 8700k vs the 2600 and you didn’t even pick 2600x…
But nevermind that userbenchmark isn’t a very comprehensive benchmark overall.
It just does some basic tests, because if you check cinebench it only wins in single threaded and thats without the security patches.

If you go through these reviews, it looks like mostly the 8700k is ahead by a few % vs a 2600x in a few benchmarks and tied or lost to it in a few other benchmarks.
So really it is coming down to 100% clockspeed gains in the tests it is winning in, because Ryzen can beat Intel in IPC in certain tasks.
In the Guru3D benchmark you can see that the 2700x is actually closer to the i9 7900 in some tests than it is the 8700k.

In Cinebench R15 the 2600x actually ties the 8700k.
So overall it really looks workload dependant with the AMD chips taking some serious wins in certain categories.

I think the techreport review specifically about AIDA kinda shows the difference in the architecture at this point in time. .