AMD MxGPU - which GPU to choose, or could someone explain RocM to me properly?

Hi Guys,

i’ve been a regular Level1Tech viewer for quite some time now. As an IT-Sysadmin of a relatively small engineering firm, i have some pretty unique challenges. This is one of them. And i do hope, although this is probably something i would pay horrendous consulting fees normally, some of you can help me with this - also because i think the Level1Tech Community is probably the one with the most capable people in it. (Not to mention, Wendell actually did some Videos about this)

We are in the process of getting two new Servers to replace the Dell PowerEdge R730s that do our remote workstation stuff (VDI). Right now, they are running off of two NV Grid K2 cards, but they are pretty old and do not have any software support anymore in XenServer/XCP-ng. I have made sure, we are getting EPYC Rome Servers, but the other thing we need is a GPU.
At the moment - since XenServer only supports vGPU up to Version 7.2 with the Grid K2s and Version 7.2 only does SR-IOV very cumbersome, we are running XenServer 7.6.
Personally, i would love to switch to Proxmox and AMD, as i use that on the other Servers in our Serverroom and also at home and it runs pretty good. NVidia however has gone absolutely mad concerning the licenseing - we’d be running over 50k per Year just for the license, with is absolute madness.
However, officially, only the FirePro S71xxX Series does MxGPU for XenServer. Apart from that, i’m not even sure Proxmox does virtual GPUs properly. In any case - calling AMD directly i got the answer that RocM can do all of that now and MxGPU per se will be retired. Apparently the Radeon Instinct cards can also do MxGPU - but neither VMWare, nor Citrix, nor Microsoft Hyper-V have support for those!

I’m properly confused and it seems nobody knows anything. Apparently every new Radeon Pro card can do SR-IOV now and can be used with RocM. Has anyone any experience with that and can help clear up this absolute mess that seems to be going on here?

I truly hope someone can help me, as i have been slowly nibbling away my sanity…

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.