AMD epyc 7f72 performance issue

I have a 7f72 that im using for a dedicated DCS server. im having a few issues with it. the big one is in windows it seems to be treating the base clock as the max boost clock so it will never go above the base clock. send thing im having issues with is i only seem to be able to run win server on it. when i put win 10 pro for workstation in it after a few reboots it gets stuck on the spinning wheel. the motherboard is a gigabyte MZ32-AR0 (rev. 1.0), the bios and ipmi are up to date, and i have been thru the bios with gigabyte so that should be correct as well. i cant find any amd drivers for windows that are from less than 4 years or more old. any help would be greatly appreciated

Hello there, how are you checking for boostclocks? with which program? i would use HW Monitor or HWiNFO64.

try to restrict cores to 8 and see if there is any difference in clocks.

it is on the compatibility list, so there seems to be another problem.

do you have all the Ram installed? or at least 4 Sticks?

i remounted and repasted the cpu seems to have fixed my issue

3 Likes

Hwinfo64 is hugely valuable on windows for helping diagnose this kind of issue too

Early look at temps etc everywhere. Glad you got it fixed

ok did a reboot of the server today and when it came back up hwinfo64 is now reporting the cpu at base clock again, temps are in the 25-35c and i changed nothing in the bios or with the computer. im also trying to figure out why the effective clocks are reported in the 10-100mhz range and what that effects.

Could you Share some Screenshots from HWinfo?

screenshot from after reboot

Yes that looks right, all cores have something to do, so the Epyc regulates 12 of your cores to 3,2Ghz and then the others in steps down to 2,5Ghz. Thats normal.

lets say all cores are idle and you start an game which uses only 4 Cores you can see work those 4 Cores at 3,7Ghz and the rest is still idleing in an base clock of less than 3 Ghz i gues.

i cant find an sheet for how many cores are boosted up to 3,7Ghz but i think about 2-4 should be able to boost that high.

i think i read on serve the home something about an all Turbo overclock fĂĽr epycs but i gues 3.2-3.5 Ghz on all cores will be high powerdraw on that chip and will lbe a limit

that is with things running and on the performance power mode before reboot they were 3.2-3.7. i have seen all 24 boost to 3,7

been a few more days and i still have not seen any core go above 3.2

did you play with bios settings?you might have set something you shouldnt have.
maybe try reset bios.
make sure determinism isnt set to the deceiving “performance” setting, instead set it to power. although i dont think that should limit max clocks, but power performs best.