Amd epyc 7551 PSU recommendation

Background

So i just saw that amd epyc 7551 are fairly cheap right now on ebay and i wanted to waste my money on something I don’t need but it might be a good learn experience. I haven’t bought a SeaSonic but I have heard good things from them so I would prefer if it is a SeaSonic but if you think my trust is misplace then tell me so. What Rating should I get? The server is going to be on for 24 hours a day. I pay 18 cents Kwh, i think. Would the highest rating make sense for my situation? And also I might replace the 1080 ti for something lower spec since I think its only going to be used for graphic or pass though for windows VM on Proxmox.

Specs

2x AMD Epyc 7551 non-p
2x Noctua NH-U12S
Supermicro H11DSI
1080 ti
Intel arc a380
10x sata 2.5 SSDs
1x m.2
Optical drive
*Looking for a recommendation for a network card

Pcpartspicker said that everything but the cpu and motherboard will take 555 watts

Thanks for the help

How did you get the number since I used to use pcpartpicker my for how many watts I’m going to need but they don’t have any epyc cpus listed.

1 Like

The AMD EPYC 7551 is a 180W TDP chip, x2 makes 360W. Mainboard, SSD’s, GPU’s and fans also consume power. Not much per item, but cumulatively it adds up.

You didn’t spec any RAM. EPYC needs LDIMM/LRDIMM sticks, normal UDIMM memory won’t work. (that’s experience talkin’ here :roll_eyes: ) That too uses some power. Seasonic is a good PSU supplier, no problems getting one of those. I’d suggest to have a 600W minimum, better 750W PSU with the highest efficiency your budget allows.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.